iPad Will Sprint iPad 4 work with Verizon SIM?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by triple-tap, Jan 20, 2014.

1. triple-tap, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

triple-tap macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I just ordered a sprint LTE ipad 4th gen (it fits my budget right now, and MacMall has a killer deal on them).

I know that the Verizon ipad 4 and the Sprint ipad 4 are the same model number. I know that the AT&T ipad 4 will not work with these two networks. However, Is there anything preventing me from slipping in a Verizon SIM card when my ipad arrives and using it on my current verizon plan?

I know that the Sprint and the Verizon models are the same apple model number (A1260), and both have the same LTE and CDMA antennas internally.

I have looked at the apple support site about LTE, and it suggests that this will be fine. However, the fine print at the bottom of the page says that Apple can't guarantee that the same model will work across different carriers.

Any personal experience with this?

Any way to "Make" it work?

Thanks in advance.

2. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

I should also mention that I DO have the micro SIM card from the ipad 3. It was activated when I had the ipad 3.

If I can get Verizon to reactivate the ipad 3 micro SIM card, would that work as a way to get around any type of carrier lock BS???

3. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Most likely not. Sprint and Verizon require that you use specific devices with with their own MEID in their databases in order to work. Even if they are the exact same model unless you have the actual Verizon iPad, Verizon will not activate it. Same for Sprint. You can probably use it on T-Mobile and AT&T though.

5. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I'm no expert but I think he's right. Sprint locks a SIM to its device, or at least they do with their phones - which means if you put a different SIM in, it won't work.
    I think that is a part of the reason that MacMall still has/had the Sprint iPad 4s still in stock, while the other carriers sold out pretty quickly. That and the fact that Sprint is still playing catchup to the other 3...

6. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

Update for anyone interested:

I was able to activate the Sprint iPad 4 on the Verizon network. If anyone cares how it was done, just ask in this thread. I don't want to waste time typing it up if no one cares anyway.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I'm guessing this is how you did it? Verizon doesn't lock their SIM cards to the devices so simply activating on the Verizon iPad 3 and moving the SIM to the Sprint iPad 4 should work.

8. triple-tap thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish it had been that simple. I tried that approach, but the ipad would only work on 3G with that Sim.

I ordered a new inactivated SIM card on amazon. I then called verizon to activate it. The normal process obviously didn't work, but I states that my ipad was just purchased and that it had a Verizon SIM card in it (Both true statements). I then cited that iPad Air owners were also having a problem activating their Verizon iPads (I linked the Verizon guy to the article on macrumors).

He asked for the imei number, put me on hold for 15 minutes, the spoke with his supervisor. Then he did something to "update their system" and it magically worked #

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Lol, guess they added the Sprint iPad's IMEI to their system. Yeah, best thing to do when calling Verizon is to play dumb. That said, it's curious yours didn't work on LTE. When I used my iPad Air overseas, it just needed a reset and carrier update to get LTE.

10. vickilee macrumors newbie

sprint to Verizon

Im currently looking at going from Sprint to Verizon with 4 phones and 1 iPad 4 - the iPad is holding me up - because I don't want to buy a new iPad - So you are saying that if I order an inactive sim card - verizon will connect when I activate and I'm good to go? :eek: