Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BishamonX

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
I was feeling the same way. For me, I want to go with what is good NOW, and has a proven track record. If Sprint actually does get its act together, you could always switch back in the future (assuming they don't eventually kill unlimited data too).

Agree with you here... I have Verizon LTE on my iPad and the coverage and speeds have been excellent. I'm not wed to any particular carrier, because they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Sebrina

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
I don't mean to be a smart ass I'm sorry but the OP's question is like asking will the horse go faster if I add more people in the carriage.

Until Sprint improves their network only expect them to get slower not faster. It's a price you pay for by letting everyone have unlimited data. Main reason why I switched back to AT&T.

meisjen26

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I felt the same way you guys felt not too long ago..i sold my 64gb 4s just to get a 4g phone...but i will say that 3g is getting better, and I'm getting almost consistent 4g in Houston. If you are in a market that is getting network vision soon, id just say be patient.
Not too long ago on LTE, i watched 9GB worth of HBO content in one day. Imagine the costs to do that on ATT or VZW...

My decision to choose Sprint was based on the unlimited data with a great employee/corp discount and LTE already rolled out in my area. I also won't be using a lot of data during the regular work week. I didn't want to spend $100+ and be capped. I felt like I was spending more money for less. With Sprint I would be saving about $50 per month compared to Verizon. Can't speak for anyone else, but this is what is best for me... (Of course..this is how I felt before Sprint cancelled my preorder..)

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I currently have Verizon and may be the only person thats willing to try Sprint. I get 7mb/s on LTE on Verizon, sometimes as high as 14mb. But my Android phone no longer works. I think Verizon changed the protocol and doesn't care about updating phones that aren't currently for sale.
I get 2.5mb/sec on 3G on Verizon. In the past I've had Sprint here in NC and had good speed, so I'm expecting similar speed from Sprint. If Sprint gets <2mb/sec I'll return the phone and cancel service. Otherwise I'm pissed at Verizon charging so much more for the share your wallet plans while giving less. Unlimited on Sprint sounds good if they have decent data speeds.

.05mb/s is not anywhere near decent. I used to get more than that on EDGE or 1xRTT. It doesn't seem possible to be that slow.

I get 2.43mbps download and 0.63mbps upload in the Dallas area on Sprint. I also really like the fact that they offer unlimited data. I know a lot of people complain about Sprint, but I think it's the best value for the money. I don't mind if it's slightly slower than AT&T and Verizon, as long as it's decently fast . I have the peace of mind about never worrying about data overages. I also like the 7pm calling time (versus 9pm on other networks), and unlimited mobile to mobile on ANY network (not just Sprint, but also free unlimited mobile to mobile calls to AT&T and Verizon). My thought is that Sprint may eventually discontinue their unlimited data plan like AT&T and Verizon, and grandfather in those customers who already have unlimited data plans with Sprint.

For those of you who do decide to sign up with Sprint, there's a discount opportunity that can help you save around $20/month. Go to the Sprint Everything Plus Referral Program website and type in Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint.com in the top field, and 383 in the bottom field. (Note that I found this discount on the sidebar of this website. I have used it myself when I first signed up for Sprint, and I save $20/month. I am in no way affiliated with Sprint or Russ McGuire.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.