Will swapping the Logic board affect the OS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walrusaur, Jun 9, 2015.

1. walrusaur macrumors newbie

I'm considering swapping the Logic Board in my early 2008 MBP 4.1, 2.5GHz model (A1260) to address the sound/static/electrical whining issue that occurs when the sound is active. (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...tivates-mbp-early-2008.1890115/#post-21416342)

Would the OS be affected if I swapped with another A1260 logic board using a different processor? For example if I swapped my 2.5GHz logic board with one that has a 2.6GHz processor, would the OS need to be reinstalled or can I continue running off the same drive (which was newly cloned from an older drive)?

2. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

The OS should be fine. You will run into some issues with machine-specific settings in apps, though. Mostly, this will be things like reauthorizing the system in iTunes and reauthorizing apps downloaded from the App Store.

3. walrusaur thread starter macrumors newbie

They wouldn't be too hard to resolve and nothing would really be broken though, right?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wouldn't buying another machine and swapping the HD over be simpler and end up costing nearly the same?

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't think so, you can get the board itself for less. If you mean purchasing the same used model, then perhaps.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

That is exactly what I meant.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I see, however in any case it is more than likely going to be a nightmare as the 2008 models have the infamous faulty NVIDIA GPUs.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm not sure I understand your point, his current machine also has the same GPU? He'd be exchanging a dollar for 4 quarters. He'd save the trouble of swapping and repasting the whole thing. A hard drive swap is more straightforward.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I understand, and I am not confused by what you said. I even agreed before receiving verification.

The only point that I was making is that, in any case (i.e. regardless of your suggestion or the original idea to swap out the board itself) searching for a well functioning 2008 model 7 years later when the lifespan of that specific model was known to be shorter and have trouble with faulty GPUs is going to be tough.