Will sweat from our hands mess up the stainless steel?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mattdo93, Oct 11, 2010.

1. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Hi guys, I was just wondering if the stainless steel of the iPhone 4 will be affected in any way by the natural sweat that comes from human hands? Will there be any stains? I don't sweat alot, but I'm just curious to know :confused:

2. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

What I meant to say, is that if you hold the iPhone 4 alot and if you have sweaty hands, will the sweat mess up the sides of the iPhone 4?

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

no. But if you're really concerned about it, I suggest the Belkin Grip Vue. It's the third iPhone 4 case I've used and it's the one I'm sticking with. If you get the clear one, you can still see the design of the phone and it still keeps a low profile.

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

The name of the material would imply, no. Stainless steel.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You think you're curious? I have a salt water aquarium. Yikes!

6. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Really?!? Look at the name of what the band is made out of STAINLESS Steel. The sweat will not affect the band whatsoever!

You should be more worried about scratches if you want to keep the iPhone in pristine condition so it has a better resale value if your looking to keep up with apples oncoming/yearly iPhone gens.

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

http://pokerterms.com/wat.html

I was just being an a$$ :p

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Stainless does not mean that it will not rust.

It really means it is very rust resistant

9. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Well it's going to take many years before you see much of a sign that the steel is getting a bit weary. By that time you would have a shiny new iPhone gen by Apple.

So this is a non-worry.

10. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

LOL, do you know what stainless steel is used for?

11. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Nah son, s'aight.

Attached Files:

12. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Thanks guys, I feel very stupid now :eek: /endthread

13. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

It's called stainless steel for a reason. ;) The bumper does more damage to the band than your hands ever would.

14. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Hold that baby in your sweaty hands for a century or so and it'll give that stainless steel band a nice petina that should increase the value of that relic from the early 21st Century.

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, it will not. If you are worried about it, keep your iPhone in case or use a bumper.

16. BlackViper macrumors member

Stain-resistant

I have not heard any specifics as to the composition of the iPhone 4 band but I would think that Apple has chosen a steel that will hold up to being held in your hand, so long as you don't leave droplets of sweat to stay on the band for extended periods. It likely can be stained by acids found in food such as citrus fruit or strong chemicals so some care should be taken to keep it clean if you care about the appearance. An occasional wipe with a shirt or pant leg should be sufficient.

Not all Stainless steel is is equal; defined by a minimum chromium content, it's stain-resistance is affected by the presence of a variety of metals or even non metals. These additives are chosen for various properties they give to the finished steel; corrosion resistance, hardness, ductility, brittleness, etc.

17. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Yeah, I didn't want to use the bumper because I heard it damages the sides more than protects it and when I was using it it jsut felt like it was damaging the phone. I will search around for some nice cases, thanks! :D