Will syncing with Facebook mess with my contacts?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by HoopTrundler, Sep 22, 2012.

1. HoopTrundler macrumors member

If I register my Facebook account on iOS 6, will all of my friends automatically be set as contacts and their profile pictures will be set there? If so, is there a way to undo it? I'd rather not enable that feature, and there are pictures I have for certain people that I don't want to be overwritten with their profile picture.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yes. It'll import everyone from facebook, change their pictures, and (I'm not sure if it's the case for everyone) it created a mess of duplicates from everyone who was already in my contacts.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Go into the Facebook settings on your iphone and un check the tab saying contacts.

4. humar macrumors 6502

humar

I wonder who wants all his facebook friends in his contact list??

That's crazy...

5. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

It's no different to having your work and personal accounts on your phone. If you want to hide the Facebook ones just goto

contacts> groups and untick Facebook !

6. HoopTrundler thread starter macrumors member

If I do that, will it revert the Facebook photos to the old ones I had? There were a couple photos I took from within the phone app, meaning they're only saved there and not in the photos app, so if they were overwritten I couldn't get them back.

7. humar macrumors 6502

humar

8. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I know you can disable it after the event, but I find it ridiculous that it syncs with your contacts automatically. It's this aspect that is stopping me from using the integrated features of Facebook & iOS 6.

I'll just have to stick with the app for now.

9. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

It doesn't sync automatically. You have to enter your login info in iOS 6 FaceBook settings first for any syncing to take place. I didn't touch the iOS 6 FB settings. I simply installed and opened FaceBook app on my device and went on as normal with FB. You can install FB from the same settings area (which I did) but if you don't want any syncing then don't enter your login info in iOS 6 settings. It's really not that difficult.

10. KeanosMagicHat, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Love your last sentence, thank you for your sarcasm, I am not an imbecile.

As I understand it, from reading these forums quite extensively, you cannot obtain the integrated features like tap to post from different areas of the operating system without entering your login details in the same manner as I have already done for Twitter with iOS 5.

I have also read on here many times that once you enter the login details, it automatically syncs with your contacts & calendars.

I don't want that to happen at all, so in the meantime I have to sacrifice the additional functionality unless there is a change.

11. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

You can sign into Facebook in settings and then immediately disable contact and calendar syncing before it gets a chance to do anything. That's what I did. Would be better if Apple allowed you to set those preferences before signing in though.

12. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

That's interesting Steve, first I've heard of that ability.

Had the process already kicked off in the background & you had to disable it quickly, or was there no syncing at all until you gave it the ok?

13. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Even if you give it ACCESS to your contacts it doesn't sync the pictures and the like unless you tell it to.

14. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

That's what I did and my contacts statyed as is.

15. cschmelz macrumors 6502

None at all unless you ok it. The only sync I saw that ran automatically was calendar data and that was just adding birthdays of facebook friends to my calendar (easy to turn off) Contact are completely unchanged unless you manually enable a sync.

16. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I don't think it had started. The two settings appear literally right underneath the 'sign in' button so it can be changed quickly after it signs in. I checked my contacts afterwards and all looked unchanged.

17. Ripcord83 macrumors member

after you do this you can select Update All Contacts and it will act the way the FB app used to.
    it will only add pics & info to your local actual contacts without adding the crap from the separate FB group.

18. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

But it says, "newbie" below your name :) lol sorry, wasn't directed at YOU even though I quoted you. Just meant it as a general term to everyone cause people seemed to be mad at Apple for doing something nefarious when they did it right.

19. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

No worries.

20. RossMacca macrumors member

I like the idea that it has two groups of contacts:

1 for iCloud contacts, which is where I've stored my contacts since iCloud released, which I have peoples names and numbers (and email addresses in some cases).

1 for ALL my Facebook friends.

I like that I can check the Facebook group off, so my contacts app isn't full of people I have little need to phone/text.

I like that it detects my current contacts (iCloud ones) and it puts a photo to them.

I DON'T like that it adds Facebook data to my iCloud contacts, leaving the contacts with 2 repeat Facebook fields. Why does it do that, and has anyone found a work around?

21. parish macrumors 65816

parish

I'm 99% certain that the first time I tried to post to FB and it brought up the dialogue asking for my FB login, it then explicitly asked if I wanted to sync my contacts. I chose yes and it doesn't appear to have messed anything up for me, although clearly it does for others.

22. Mk1010 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

I disabled this right after signing on in settings. Didn't really want in my contacts all the people I haven't talked to since high school!