Will tesco club card be used on passbook?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by The Game 161, Sep 11, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Any clue for those in the UK that this will be the case?

2. jon8214 macrumors regular

I think you would be best asking tesco about that directly, but i think it would be a great idea instead of having to have ur keys or clubcard with you all the time.

3. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

I cant see why not, after all it's just a bar code that gets scanned.

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

They would be stupid not to. They can also push special offer coupons to your phone when you're in store aswell.

5. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

That would be cool!

6. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

well they already have a club card app that essentially just displays the barcode on the screen.

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah it is a pain at times getting my keys out each time where with the phone should be easier and less hassle.

8. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

as i said, already an app exists for the tesco clubcard that you could use.

9. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Is it really easier to take out your phone, unlock it (could include passcode) search for Passbook App, then search for the Clubcard ticket in the app, rather than reaching in your bag/pocket for your keys?

10. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

indeed, some people really like to over engineer what is essentially a very simple task!

11. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I never thought I'd see Tesco discussed on MacRumors! :D

Passbook would be ideal, not only for scanning your Clubcard to earn points, but it would replace having to either wait for paper vouchers or having to print out your own vouchers every quarter.

I'd love to see the Clubcard on Passbook collect points, but also have a tab every quarter that updates your balance from points earned and allow you to simply scan a barcode to deduct funds from your balance when shopping.

12. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Clubcard on passbook would be really awesome.

13. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Don't have a Clubcard! So I'm hoping for Nectar Card support!

----------

Maybe it could be clever and use the Geofence thingy, so it intelligently knows you're in Tesco when you open the Passbook app and brings the Clubcard to the front.....that would be pretty cool, right?

14. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

yeah and watch your battery drain quicker than usain bolt

15. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Haha! Maybe, but it'd still be cool!

I actually have it working with the reminders app, so when I walk into my local Sainsbury's, it pops up with my grocery list - my battery life seems okay..

16. Duke&tank macrumors member

I thought the point of Passbook was to display "Clubcard or whatever else" on your lock screen when you are at said Location example go to a Starbucks and up come your Starbucks card on your iPhone Lock screen.

Aaron

17. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Admittedly this method would work

18. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Me too. Can't stand Tesco. What about the Boot's Advantage Card, or my Costa Club Card? :D

19. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

20. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It seems like every shop now has some sort of Loyalty card and I'm the mug who signs up for them, knowing fine well i'll have to spend A LOT to get anything back. The Nectar card has to be the worst - i've had mine for years and finally got £5 off my shopping at Sainsbury's!

Anyone got a myWaitrose card? I don't get the point of it! (even though I have one). Though it does take 1p off my shopping every time i use it.

21. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I don't know, many say the Nectar Card is the best, I know my moms got something like £110 or something from year & a half...planning a booze buyout this Christmas! I think it just depends on how often you shop and where you shop, Sainsbury's is the only store within 30mins (not including the Co-op cause thats crap!) so I go there everyday!

22. Zcott macrumors 68020

I hadn't realised this at the time but I don't normally sign up for reward cards because I can't be bothered with them. But with passbook, I'd be way more inclined to use them because they'd all be in an app and not cards clogging up my wallet. Win win for consumers and retailers.

23. DoctorFedora macrumors regular

If it's a regular bar-code, then it won't work (Passbook only generates 2D barcodes). They made a conscious decision, according to the WWDC videos, because the laser-based readers for 1D bar-codes work very poorly on backlit glass screens, but the camera-based readers for 2D bar-codes work magnificently.

So unless Tesco's switching their club code barcode readers, I wouldn't count on it.

24. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Ahh this is a shame! Tesco could upgrade some stores..... very doubtful that Sainsbury's would pump any money into anything new though.

25. jon8214 macrumors regular

I have just had a twitter reply from tesco reference the passbook app and i have been informed that they will look into it