Will Tethering Result in a massive Bill?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by -tWv-, May 11, 2010.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS on AT&T and I was just wondering if I use MyWi in order to tether my macbook while I'm not at home, will AT&T be able to tell and charge me a lot of money on my bill? I know that tethering isn't officially supported by AT&T yet, but my data plan for the iPhone is unlimited, so even if I tethered my computer, wouldn't that data still fall under the unlimited plan for my iPhone?

I just would like to know if there is any way AT&T can detect if I'm using my data plan to tether with my macbook, and charge me a ton of money for it, or if tethering is safe to do with the iPhone on AT&T. I would like to be able to use MyWi to provide me with a way to get internet on my macbook anywhere, but if AT&T can find out and charge me a ton of money for it, then it's obviously not worth it. Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

No, you'll be fine. I've been doing it for months :) If they call or contact you about large data usage, just blame it on Pandora

3. EchoTheDolphin macrumors newbie

If you exceed 5GB a month, yes.

So email, basic web surfing, ok.

Video (youtube, hulu, etc) will get you there alot faster. It's possible they'll let it slide a few times if you try to argue it, but if you consistently go over by large amounts it's gonna get charged.

Remember, they own the system, they know what you're looking at, where it's from, and how much you're using.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We still never heard of a single incident of someone getting charged for tethering even if large amounts of data have been downloaded/uploaded.
    Like you said though, it should be within reason and not go crazy on it but I heard people using alot more than that on the regural and never had a problem.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No. There is no such 5gig cap for the iphone. Dedicated tether plans, yes. iphone data plan, no.

Even the ipad has no limit, which debunks any 5 gig "myth"
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/3g-ipads-unlimited-data-plan-survives-torture-test/
    There has been ZERO cases of people being charged additionally for tethering with their iphones

6. xolan99 macrumors regular

I think we need to caution though that just because nobody has (or nobody that we know of) been charged extra data doesn't mean it won't happen.

I would stay on the safe side and use it within reason.

If everyone who owned an iPhone or iPad started downloading gigs and gigs of data, AT&T would most definitely start monitoring usage if it got out of hand.

7. tnisatard macrumors 6502

yeah, i try not abuse tethering

although ATT should give it to us now :mad:

8. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

For an extra $30/month, I'm good with mywi for now...

9. atuarre macrumors member

If you are on ATT, you are fine. Get caught on Verizon though...that might be a different story