Will the 1.0.2 become THE iPhone to have

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flyingdoctor, Sep 29, 2007.

1. flyingdoctor macrumors newbie

Just thinking about the whole unlock / brick fiasco with my unlocked 1.0.2 beside me and I got to wondering if the 1.0.2 will become the "golden" iPhone. As it stands anyone who has a 1.0.2 unlocked or not has the ability to add apps, change look and feel of the interface and modify the phone to a certain extent. OK, no TV out, double click and mobile iTunes store but for people like me, they are not even worth considering.

I'm sure Apple have gone out of their way to lock down the iPhone pretty tight and even if the Dev team or others find a way in and unlock 1.1.1 I'll bet within a week Apple will have a new update with an even tighter lockdown and padlocks on the backdoors. All this just makes me think that the 1.0.2 and maybe (if it gets hacked) the 1.1.1 phones will be the ultimate iPhones for quite a while.

Cool to have an iPhone but mega cool to have an unlocked one? Who knows?

Pete

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

TV out, double click and mobile iTunes store, being able to turn off EDGE, and other changes.

That's the first big update.

How long are people going to want 1.0.2 when something they DO want comes out? like ichat or mms?

Not bloody long.

If Apple are smart, they'll realize that and get those done. Get a press release going a month or 2 in advance and it's R.I.P. 1.0.2.

3. flyingdoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

RIP 1.0.2?Maybe, maybe not. The thing we are all guilty of is making assumptions (I'm just as guilty as the next person).

Lets say Apple have sold 1 million iPhones. How many are unlocked? How many are on different carriers? Mine is unlocked but I still use AT&T. How many use apps? How many people want to watch movies on their TV being driven out of an iPhone. How did they get it there in the first place? From a DVD? Better to watch the DVD. From a download? Reconstitute the avi / mov and burn a DVD. Even if you have the cables for your iPod they won't work on your iPhone. Sure go spend a shedload more for new cables.

We are assuming things based on no hard numbers or evidence what so ever. We talk about the Dev Team like it is some large dedicated band of hackers co-ordinated solely to unlock and hack the iPhone. Maybe it is but then again maybe it is just a few guys / gals with time on their hands who will just drop out if the going gets tough. The Sony hacking scene was a different thing altogether.

Ultimately we could be talking about a very small amount of phones which are unlocked. Many that were are now toast. They could become a sought after relic of the "glorious" early days of a completely closed system where everyone who has an iPhone has the exact same standard piece of kit tied to AT&T for ever.

Of course all of this is just pure speculation and conjecture on my part as I admit to having no idea of the extent of the unlock world.

Pete

4. pusle8 macrumors newbie

Why are people acting like this is the last update Apple's going to have? I'm sure there are more to come, but what's in them is anyone's guess.

5. Patchfoo macrumors member

flyingdoctor could be right. If Apple patched the "problem" that allowed iPhones to be activated and then unlocked for other carriers, then it may not be fully unlocked like it was before, with purely software. Then again, hackers are pretty resilient and would probably figure out a way around the new fix. But still, I think flyingdoctor was on to something.

6. one1 macrumors 65816

To look to the PSP community is to know the answer.

Before downgraders were developed, 1.5 PSP's were fetching above retail price while you couldn't sell a 2.0+ model for half of retail. Even though the downgraders and unbrickers exist in the PSP community now, you lose a lot of files doing it that was so it never works 100%.

Within this, it stands to reason an original 1.5 PSP is still the golden calf of PSP's.

Now on to the iPhone.... Without a fully operational downgrader that restores ALL files, the 1.0.2 iPhone will be the golden calf. Yes this firmware will get broken like the last firmware. At what cost though? Bugs that cannot be fixed with the new hack? Features that still do not function in the hack like they did in 1.0.2? Instability in the firmware that has been found in 1.1.1 continuing with the hacks?

I believe that until a proper hack is found the 4g fully modded iPhone is worth at least a 1.1.1 8g iPhone, perhaps more if the hacks do not go smoothly or timely in the 1.1.1 hack.

When it comes to desired software, I forsee the Dev's creating a downgrader before they create a solution to the 1.1.1 fiasco. I say this because of how much more stable the 1.0.2 firmware is. Smooth as butter.

Iphone will go the way of the PSP. Never a stable version to hack past the original. Hacks will be done on 1.0.2 to remain smooth and stable.

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

It may be for a short time, but there will either be a hack to "downgrade" or a hack to 1.1.1 soon. Either way, it will not matter in a few weeks.

8. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I couldnt care less about TV out
    I can turn EDGE off
    double click?? Give me a break:rolleyes:

I like my unlocked phone and 1.0.2 is fully sufficient. Oh an I turned off that stupid autocorrection when typing SMS

I cant remember if you have an iPhone but I would like to hear from you when next update will brick your UNmoddified phone:cool:

9. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

Curious. How do you turn off edge on 1.0.2?

-jt2

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

1.0.2 people / hackers will say this until the next big upgrade where we get something they want (like MMS or iwork file editing.).

Then what will the say?

Doh!

11. davepk macrumors member

Services.app

12. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It's a futures market...if you believe in third party hacks then buy a bunch and if you're right then a good profit will be yours. Or you may have a bunch of worthless bricks. Hmmmm

13. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

LOL, the 3rd party people beat Apple to their glorified 'edge off' switch!

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nope...I, and most rest of the world, would rather have iTunes Wi-Fi store and the other updates.

Also I'm sure the iPhone hackers are hard at work!

PSP with old firmware were once very wanted, but hackers found ways around being forced to use old firmwares

15. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

seems like somone has already found a way to revert back to 1.0.2 :D

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't think people will want 1.0.2 for very long. 2 independently sufficient reasons:

1) apple will keep updating the phone with more and better features not available on 1.0.2

2) hackers will break 1.1.1

Plus, of course, a great many iphone users don't know or care about these hacks. Those "in the know" assume that everyone will want 3rd party functionality, but personally, I don't really care. I had 3rd party apps in 1.0.2 and they were a real mixed bag. Some were very cool, and others were real duds. On the whole, they made my iphone more sluggish and unstable. Ultimately, I'm happier without them.

17. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Its hard to take a post like this seriously.. Apple is the developer, thank goodness, because a "glorified switch" is better than a hacked app.
    This is the reason I hope they shut down unauthorized hacked apps. Common sense tells me who will develop the most reliable and stable system. And its not a group of hobbyists. The sooner they allow legit apps on the iPhone the better, if just to make the hackers go back to moto, Sony or MS or wherever.