Will the 13" Macbook Pro ever get a dedicated graphics chip (9600M GT?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoeCo0611, Jun 10, 2009.

1. JoeCo0611 macrumors member

Will the new 13" MBP ever get the 9600M GT? I like the size this model over a 15" but the lack of dedicated graphics is a bit of a turn off to upgrade to.

Is it even possible to engineer a dedicated chip into the 13" over the shared graphics it currently has?

2. buckeye17 macrumors member

It's possible, as there are other 13" laptops out there with dedicated graphics.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm sure that it is possible but it is unlikely that Apple will provide it even as an option any time soon.

4. JoeCo0611 thread starter macrumors member

I always felt that the Macbook Pro line has recently been distinguishing itself over a normal Macbook due to their dedicated GPUs. It's a shame to see the name being used on models that use shared graphics...

I hope they end up putting one in the 13". I'd buy it.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I disagree. With the brand change to MacBook Pro, Apple is in a very good position to offer dedicated graphics in the 13" model. Though, if they were going to do that, I would have expected them to do that on Monday.

It could be that the case design doesn't allow for it, although there are other 13" laptops out there with discrete graphics, and the unibody design is supposed to make the use of internal space more efficient. Between that and the new battery design, you'd think they could make space... might be a heat thing?

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i've said it several times before - and it is a case enclosure heat issue why you don't see a dedicated graphics card in the 13" model...yet.

the 13" produces enough heat on its own and adding a dedicated gpu would only cause headaches for apples service department.

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Have you seen the heatsink?
    http://s2.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/4U6FOVHCT4JwTMvX.large
    There's no way that tiny heatsink could dissipate all the heat of a CPU and a dedicated video chip. Also, there is no space on the board as a dedicated GPU would be a third large square chip. The 13" has the CPU and chipset/GPU combination, while the 15" has the CPU, the chipset, and the GPU.
    http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/XNtRlNUt2sh2sKnA.large
    This is the non-updated one, but I'm sure the new one is very similar. Note that the 15" has two heatsinks and 3 chips.

8. richard371 macrumors 68000

come on people the 9400 aint that bad.

its 5 x faster then the x3100. It runs cool.

9. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It may run cool, but the thermal envelope for the 13" MBP may not yet support a dedicated GPU. In addition to that, there may not be room on the logic board for it yet, until some new tech comes along. I am among the people that think that in order to have the "Pro" branding, a decent GPU must be present. I have a feeling that Apple thinks this way as well, but as of now has no way to impliment it.