Will the 13" MBP also be updated?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by t101, Sep 2, 2011.

1. t101 macrumors newbie

I have heard that Apple is redesigning the 15 and 17 inch MacBook pro's and that they might be released late this year but I wanted to know if the 13 inch would be included in such an update as I have heard no mention of it in any update speculation so would it be more likely to receive an update next year when the new Ivy Bridge processors are released?

2. treestar macrumors 6502

I didn't think we'd see an update this year. I still don't.

3. t101 thread starter macrumors newbie

But if the new Ivy Bridge processors are coming Mid 2012 doesn't that leave a large gap between updates?

4. treestar macrumors 6502

Large is relative. I don't think Apple has any trouble selling computers, so what is their rush? They've taken their time before. The 2010 MBPs were well over a year away from the previous gen. Also, why would they make an update if there was nothing to update?

People suggest that Apple will include USB 3 when Intel makes it native. That could be mid 2012 as well. There is also a chance for a design update, screen updates, optical drive updates, and whatever Tim Cook decides to refresh his company.

5. Liquinn Suspended

Mid 2012? Wikipedia says Ivy Bridge will be released February/March 2012, which isn't that far away now.

6. treestar macrumors 6502

Don't quote me, that's what t101 said.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd hate to see the MBP 13" turned into an MBA. I use firewire for backups and I use the DVD drive to watch movies. The 13" MBP sells very well, so I can't see Apple simply dumping it.

Until SSDs are much cheaper, the MBP will not go full SSD. Can you buy a 750 GB SSD for 10% more than a 750GB HDD? I think not. Even the base 13" MBP has a 320 GB HDD - could you match the price with a 320GB SSD?

8. lukarak macrumors regular

I would hate to lose the optibay option, i don't know what i will do if they remove the optical drive and fill the space with something else.

9. treestar macrumors 6502

What if it were a HDD or a slot for PCI cards?

I'm really worried Firewire will be taken out.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd really hate to lose firewire; I could use USB since the drive has both connectors, but why give up the speed?