Will the 13" MBP meet our needs? Need advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asaj, Jun 12, 2009.

1. asaj macrumors newbie

We are looking to get our first Mac, and I am thinking about the lower end MBP 13". I would upgrade the RAM to 4gb and the HD probably to 500gb (neither thru Apple). I want it to be a place to keep all of our photos, videos, and iTunes media. Otherwise it would be used for web browsing, email, calendar, and Office docs (Word/Excel). It would not be used for games.

So, do you think the 13" MBP with the slower processor would work for us? My biggest concern is video editing. We don't do much of it, but we have a Canon HD camcorder, and I want to make sure whatever I get can handle editing HD video without stuttering. Anybody use it for that?

I like the 13" for the size and portability, and we'll probably get an iMac at some point. For now though, if the MBP can handle what we want to do, I think we'll start with it and go from there. What do you all think?

I appreciate the advice, we are really looking forward to our first Mac, and want to make sure we get the right one.

Thanks.

2. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I have a white macbook from 2007 that is only 2.0ghz and it will do what you want just fine. I don't do much video editing but I do use photoshop a lot and garage band for music editing and it works perfectly. I think it will be fine for what you need.

3. asaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, sounds like the new MBP should work then.

Another question, do they come with the complete OS install disks? If I want to change out the hd, will I have the software I need to install the OS on the new drive then? Or do they just send you restore type software?

Thanks.

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Yes they do come with the install disk. It also comes with the install disk for programs that are pre installed (Iwork etc)