Will the 1st gen touch be phaised out w/ 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Project Alice, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Project Alice macrumors member

Project Alice

As the title says, anybody know if iphone os 4.0 will be released for 1st gen users? Or are they gonna screw ppl like with the switch to intel..

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

No the 1st gen touch\iPhone will not get OS4.0, the 2nd gen touch and iphone 3G will miss out on some features as well like multitasking. Only the current model 32\64GB touch and 3GS iPhone will get the full benefit of 4.0.

3. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I don't see it as them "screwing" anyone over, but there will always be people that complain - even if 1st gen owners DID get the software then you'd get people bitching about the fact iPod touch owners have to pay $9.99 to upgrade the software. The 1st gen touch has enjoyed over 2 and a half years of regular software support, which is pretty decent for a portable device and really good for something that is marketed as being part of the iPod line (Apple could have been bastards like with other iPods and dropped software support the moment a new model came out, but they didn't).

Some features - like multitasking - can't even be supported on the 2nd gen because it simply doesn't have enough memory. With the 1st gen Apple either has the option of releasing 4.0 with many of the new features cut out anyway (which will also mess up the pricing scheme - release it for $9.99 like the 'full' software or make an entirely new product and sell it for cheaper?), or to not release it at all.

5. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Whoa whoa.

So, no multi-tasking on any 2nd Gen iPod Touches?!

And with the 3rd Gen only if you have a 32GB or 64GB?!?!?! This is bull! I was about to purchase a 2nd gen Touch, but then considered getting the low end 3rd Gen...but still! C'mon!

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Capacity makes zero difference. It's the processor/memory of the 3rd gen that allows it to multitask without excessive lag. Most Android phones fall into that category.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Eh? There is no 8GB 3rd Gen iPod touch, it only comes in 32GB and 64GB.

Or is this the old sarcasm meter being a bit screwy?

8. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

wha?? Sorry, no sarcasm, I really didnt know there was only 32 and 64GB for the 3rd Gens.

So, im still confused.. and i only re-ask cause im planning on getting an ipod touch within the next week or so:

1st gen will pretty much phase out when 4.0 comes in june.
    obviously the latest gen, 3rd, will include all of 4.0 updates...
    ...but what about the 2nd gen?

9. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Apple made minor enough firmware changes to the 8GB Touch upon the release of the 32 and 64GB units that there's a lot of confusion over whether they should be properly considered 3rd-gen Touches too. Generally the differences only matter for jailbreakers, but this is another possible scenario in which it could be an issue.

And since the 8GB model has the same processor/RAM configuration as the 2nd-gen Touches, it's likely that it will have the same limitations under OS 4.0, but I suppose Apple could always surprise us.

10. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

There are no surprises:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

11. kyleh613 macrumors regular

This is what Apple says, but that does not make it true. Multi-tasking has been available through jailbreak solutions for some time now and it doesn't effect performance at all on my 8gb 2nd gen touch. It is purely a business decision, an attempt to get 1st and 2nd gen users to upgrade.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You can't say it doesn't affect performance as no applications other than apple ones are written to take advantage of it yet.

So you don't have an application doing task completion or playing music in the background. This is where the performance hit will come from.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

running backgrounder certainly made my old iPhone 3G slow down appreciably, it also made it run hot and made the battery drain like nobody's business.

The 2G touch is slightly quicker than the iPhone but not that much quicker, and still has less RAM than the 3G touch and the 3GS.

14. Project Alice thread starter macrumors member

Project Alice

i figured. i can see why the older models won't be getting 4.0, the same reason why mac os leopard (10.5) doesn't go on G3's, it just will never run good or enough, or the way it was designed to.. its time for all the 1st gen ipod touch/iphone g1 to upgrade. maybe even the 2nds too.

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And how do you upgrade such a device? Do you send it in to Apple and they will exchange the mainboard with a current model for an upgrade fee?

Oh... Wait. I see. An "upgrade" in Apple language actually means "replacement". You have to dump your old gadget and buy a new one.

I'd really like to punch Steve Jobs in the face for every time he abused the word "upgrade".

16. na1577 macrumors 6502a

He was talking about Backgrounder, not the official multitasking implementation.

17. Project Alice thread starter macrumors member

Project Alice

i dont like it any better than you do. but there isnt anything we can do about it. if it makes u happier if i dont use the word "upgrade" then fine here

its time for all the 1st and 2nd gen owners to go shell out $300 for a newer model

18. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I thought he was referring to the hack to enable multi tasking on non supported phones.

19. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I don't see why a second gen owner should upgrade. I really don't. First gen yes but not second gen.

20. Project Alice thread starter macrumors member

Project Alice

i really dont either, but they will not have all of the features that 4.0 will offer when it comes out. 2nds dont have enough memory to support it. so there is one reason.

21. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Well he mentioned "jailbreak solutions," which would imply that he's talking about Backgrounder. While the multitasking hack does modify the firmware, it's not part of a jailbreak. (you still can't install unsupported applications if you only apply the multitasking hack)

22. bniu macrumors 6502a

heh heh, first generation touch, I paid $400 for that 16gb touch that's just sitting around now. can't believe that thing doesn't have physical volume controls. Maybe i'll take it in for battery service and see if they'll give me a newer touch...

now with the ipad out, i can't imagine anyone owning simultaneously an iphone, ipod touch, and ipad unless they just happen to have several hundred of dollars to burn and bought the touch to "complete" their collection...