Will the 2.2 Macbook run Vista x64?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyr0sphere, Nov 24, 2007.

1. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

I really don't have a clue about these 64 bit and 86 bit operating systems. But if I remember correctly, Leopard is supposedly 64bit? Therefore it should run Vista x64 perfectly off VMWare Fusion?

Any possibility of x86 running on the 2.2 Macbook? Is there any difference between 64 and 86?

I have 4GB ram in my 2.2 Macbook, is it wise to run Vista off VMWare Fusion? 4GB is obviously a lot, but would it still be slow? Is XP the better choice?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its 64bit and 32bit

but ive never used vmware fusion, if you really want performance you need to use bootcamp

3. pyr0sphere thread starter macrumors regular

Gotcha

Would Vista 64bit run well according to the specs of the 2.2 Macbook?

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah itll run the same, itll just have support for more memory, i dont really think there are any 64 bit apps for windows yet anyway

5. pyr0sphere thread starter macrumors regular

Right, I remember reading that 32bit operating systems can only support 3GB ram total? Or maybe it was 2

So in order to utilize all 4GB of my ram, I would need to install either Vista x64 or XP x64

Anyway, I learned that x86 means 32bit which is what got my confused

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

X86 is just the architecture, its has nothing to do with bits, there is x86-64 which is 64 bit as well, thats what the AMD athlon 64 processors are based on, and i dont remember if intel stuck with it for core2 or not, but yeah, 32bit supports 3gb and 64 bit supports, what up to 32gb? or higher, something like that

7. triddent222 macrumors regular

It will run. You mentioned VMware, and well, it will run perfectly, but I don't think you'd be able to access all 4GB of physical RAM (could be mistaken though...). In the other hand, if you use Boot Camp, it will be able to access everything, BUT you'll find that driver support is quite lacking (no audio, for instance, unless you use third-party audio drivers or something I'm not aware of).

Decisions...Decisions...

8. creepinshadow macrumors newbie