Will the 20" ACD likely be phased out?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mercuric Oxide, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

Hey,

So I ordered a new mac pro and will be doing most of my work on a 42 in HDTV. However, when I simply want to browse the internet and other regular tasks (and prevent my eyes from melting :p ), I would like a 20" ACD to the side.

If Apple updates the ACD, do you guys think the 20" will be phased out with a new 24" model becoming smallest? Or do you think it will remain, with a price reduction?

I'm torn between buying a cheap used ACD 20" on ebay, and waiting for Apple to update them and lower the price.

I guess if nothing is announced Tues, I will just look to eBay for the display.

Thanks for any input.

2. v-ault macrumors regular

It wouldn't surprise me if the new 20" ACDs contain a TN panel. That's why I just bought a 20" ACD for 350 and am not worried about an update.

3. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I doubt Apple will be updating the ACD's at MacWorld. They would have done this with the MacPro update this week. ACD's are a specialty item for Apple. They are not a high priority item.

It would not surprise me if Apple released a lower end consumer panel, but it they do, they will not make an event out of it. I more likely see them release a larger panel for the Apple TV.

Just my gut.

Dante

4. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Where'd you find an ACD for $350? The Apple store sells them for no less than $600.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think the 20" will be phased out. A 20" display is still large in many people's eyes.

6. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I agree.

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

8. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Yes, you are right on with this point.

We have ALWAYS passed on this display due to its lower resolution. I am surprised Apple did not bump this up over the years.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Dream on.

10. v-ault macrumors regular

craigslist