Will the 2014 mac air 13'' be able to run matlab smoothly?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeyasuriya10, Sep 11, 2014.

1. jeyasuriya10 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I'm a college student in the 3rd year of my 4 year engineering course and I want to buy my first laptop. After long hours of serious internet research, I'm still confused about what to buy. So please help me out guys.
    I work a lot with matlab and labiew. I do a lot of surfing, watch a lot of movies and occasionally photoshop. I'm not into hardcore gaming but I do play games like COD 4 and portal from time to time. My choices are the 2014 Macbook air 13'' and the 2013 Macbook pro 13''. I lean on MBA because it is easy to carry around and because of its battery back up. I spend most of my time in college working on matlab so my laptop should last an entire college day (7-9 hours). My major concern is again working with matlab. I know I'm stressing it a lot but it would be a waste to buy a machine for a huge price but end up not being able to run matlab smoothly. As I am a college student, I'm also worried about the price. MBA seems to fit my needs but I'm worried that the 1.4Ghz processor and the 4 GB RAM wouldn't be enough. I'm from India so I wont be able to upgrade it to 8 GB which leaves me with either buying a 13'' MBA or a 13'' MBP. But buying a MBP would hit me hard on my college fund.
    Please suggest me which machine to buy guys. It would be really helpful if u could send me your views as early as possible as I'll buy in two or three week's time.
    Thank you in advance!!

2. reundo macrumors member

I have never had any problems on my 2011 or 2014 macbook air and matlab (both base models).