iPhone XS Max Will the 2019 iPhone X1 Max have the Notch. ?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I was looking at the new Samsung Galaxy 10+ and the small cut out is so much more pleasing than the XsMax notch Apple has to do something. Even so FaceID uses a much larger array of sensors which can’t be easily hidden. Plus Apple buys its displays from Samsung their in glass finger print reader will finally bring Touch ID back.

I can see that Apple marketing TV Ads already celebrating the return of TouchID cue Music AC/DC Back In Black
Cut to new all Black squared off iPhone X1 6.5” Display all black aluminum. A guy in sunglasses on a sunny day uses TouchID to unlock. Cut to a winter snowy cold day lady in gloves uses FaceID to unlock. Makes more sense now.
Can’t wait.

Reactions: Goompa

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
If I remember correctly the rumors that I have read several days ago, notch is here to stay on 2019 iPhones, and it will not change in shape and size.

EDIT: From Feb 17th rumor:

Kuo also says all three models will include Lightning connectors rather than USB-C and have the same notch area as current models, contradicting other rumors of smaller notches.

Reactions: Alundra

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
yet it will be smaller.
The technology hasn’t changed where the notch will reduce in size with the sensors/camera, dot projector, ect . And nothing really indicates that the technology will change yet, so I would suspect that the notch will remain exactly the same for the 2019 iPhones as it did for the 2018 iPhones.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
If I remember correctly the rumors that I have read several days ago, notch is here to stay on 2019 iPhones, and it will not change in shape and size.

EDIT: From Feb 17th rumor:

Kuo also says all three models will include Lightning connectors rather than USB-C and have the same notch area as current models, contradicting other rumors of smaller notches.
If true and Kuo is usually right, I look forward to not getting a new iPhone in 2019. I’ll happily wait for USB-C and LPDDR4 RAM. All my devices are USB-C now period.

Note 9 - USB-C
Nintendo Switch - USB-C
iPad Pro 11 - USB-C
portable chargers - USB-C
Lenovo X1 carbon - USB-C

My eco-system In 2019 is all USB-C there is No room for a Non USB-C device.

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Music AC/DC Back In Black
This will never happen. If there’s one thing I despise about Apple, it’s their music selection when it comes to promoting products. Cliché, hipster-friendly crap.

The notch should still be there, maybe in smaller form, but a few reports predict nothing will change...size-wise anyway. Functionality-wise though, we should expect a faster Face ID that works in landscape.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
If true and Kuo is usually right, I look forward to not getting a new iPhone in 2019. I’ll happily wait for USB-C and LPDDR4 RAM. All my devices are USB-C now period.

Note 9 - USB-C
Nintendo Switch - USB-C
iPad Pro 11 - USB-C
Lenovo X1 carbon - USB-C

I’m the opposite. Except for my Switch, I have no USB-C devices. Even the Surface Laptop 2 I got last month lacks type C, which I’m fine with, since all of my cables and accessories are still type A.

So for me, I don’t really care which port the next iPhones have. I know they’ll likely go to USB C at some point in the future so I’m prepared to make the transition, but my current chargers and accessories are lighting based, so sticking with that won’t inconvenience me at all.

Hernan4651

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2018
Samsung is not selling Led with cutout to another company this year. They have the exclusive patent. So Iphone would keep the same design this year . It would be a hard year for Apple

Reactions: Goompa

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014

Note 9 - USB-C
Nintendo Switch - USB-C
iPad Pro 11 - USB-C
Lenovo X1 carbon - USB-C

Wait for LPDDR4 in an iPhone?

You realize LPDDR4 ram has been in iPhones since 2015 though yes?

6s and 6s plus were the first and all flagships have had them since.

iPhone 8 and X actually introduced a slightly "newer" version of LPDDR4.

squizzler

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2019
You Kay
All this talk. All these rumours are for absolutely nothing. Nobody knows what's gonna come out until the day it happens. So let me spare your anxiety for something that matters. Just sit back and think how you can make your loved ones even more loved.

Stop wasting time on stupid iPhone rumours.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I expect the notch to remain, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit smaller.
Plus Apple buys its displays from Samsung their in glass finger print reader will finally bring Touch ID back.
I see no reason to believe this. I think Apple has moved on from TouchID, because they've decided FaceID is superior. You may not agree with that assessment, and I get that, but I don't see them reversing course. Return of TouchID is about as likely as the return of the headphone jack.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Everything behind the notch is already packed in tight, so I don't see a lot of scope for reducing it in size. I also prefer the punch hole cutout but I don't think that's compatible with FaceID at present.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I expect the notch to remain, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit smaller.

I see no reason to believe this. I think Apple has moved on from TouchID, because they've decided FaceID is superior. You may not agree with that assessment, and I get that, but I don't see them reversing course. Return of TouchID is about as likely as the return of the headphone jack.
Legally and Physically a 4 Digit PIN is superior to FaceID.
You can not be ordered by a court to give up your PIN code, but a court can order you to give up a finger print retinal scan or Face scan.

Goompa

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2018
I’d like to see something as beautiful and pleasant as the new Mate X, that is what I call a terrific design!

I don’t want another ugly notch (neither holes on display).

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
You can not be ordered by a court to give up your PIN code, but a court can order you to give up a finger print retinal scan or Face scan.
ok? I'm not sure how that relates to my comment, but it's an interesting perspective. I guess if you're worried about a court accessing your phone, then this is a valid concern. But there are good reasons why FID & TID are superior to 4-digit codes: primarily, convenience and security (if you're worried about anyone besides law enforcement). It's a lot easier for someone to surreptitiously record your passcode than to steal your finger or your face.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
All this talk. All these rumours are for absolutely nothing. Nobody knows what's gonna come out until the day it happens. So let me spare your anxiety for something that matters. Just sit back and think how you can make your loved ones even more loved.

Stop wasting time on stupid iPhone rumours.
lol essentially what you're saying is, don't come to macrumors and talk about rumors. You're right, nobody knows what will happen, but this is what tech enthusiasts like to do. Speculate, share ideas, and have fun!

cableguy84

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2015
The brain dead marketing people who have taken over at Apple will want to keep the notch. To them the notch symbolizes you are using an iPhone.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The 2019 phones will have the notch.

Apple is in no real hurry to shrink this, this is a "design element that should be embraced" according to them; even if they secretly do want to or can shrink the notch, they won't do it as soon as possible because it would conflict with their stance that it's intentional and to be embraced.

The technology is already there to shrink it, but Apple won't bother until 2020, when they presumably redesign the phone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
4digit pin is easy to break that’s why Apple defaults to a 6digit when you setup your device. If law enforcement is using the brute force method(graykey) 4digit pin is solved in no time at all. By the way, law enforcement can’t force you to give up fingerprints or facial scan anymore.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2019/01/14/feds-cant-force-you-to-unlock-your-iphone-with-finger-or-face-judge-rules/#603f14c242b7
https://phys.org/news/2019-01-people-facial-recognition-fingerprints-federal.html

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
I was looking at the new Samsung Galaxy 10+ and the small cut out is so much more pleasing than the XsMax notch Apple has to do something. Even so FaceID uses a much larger array of sensors which can’t be easily hidden. Plus Apple buys its displays from Samsung their in glass finger print reader will finally bring Touch ID back.

I can see that Apple marketing TV Ads already celebrating the return of TouchID cue Music AC/DC Back In Black
Cut to new all Black squared off iPhone X1 6.5” Display all black aluminum. A guy in sunglasses on a sunny day uses TouchID to unlock. Cut to a winter snowy cold day lady in gloves uses FaceID to unlock. Makes more sense now.
Can’t wait.
Smaller notch imho. But the hole on GS 10 front covers just a camera. The iPhone has a projector for IR, and other important sensors and at this time I don’t believe it’s technologically possible for a small home punch on the iPhone. Plus I think the notch is a apple design cue. It makes you think I phone given the placement of the notch and it’s shape.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
why would you use a Roman numeral and then... nvm
Well it’s better than saying Tennis. Or TenS
[doublepost=1551726193][/doublepost]
Guess who makes the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor for Samsung?

Qualcomm
Whoops very good info, then Apple not gonna have that for a while if ever.
[doublepost=1551726414][/doublepost]
4digit pin is easy to break that’s why Apple defaults to a 6digit when you setup your device. If law enforcement is using the brute force method(graykey) 4digit pin is solved in no time at all. By the way, law enforcement can’t force you to give up fingerprints or facial scan anymore.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2019/01/14/feds-cant-force-you-to-unlock-your-iphone-with-finger-or-face-judge-rules/#603f14c242b7
https://phys.org/news/2019-01-people-facial-recognition-fingerprints-federal.html
It’s not been proven in Supreme Court. And it’s way too easy to force a finger print unlock or just wave a locked phone in someone’s face and unlocks a 6-digit PIN or pass phrase is much more secure.