Will the $2599 15" rMBP run cooler than the $1999?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pl3xpython, Feb 6, 2014.

1. pl3xpython macrumors newbie

I really like this computer, but the keyboard and palm rests get warm, man!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would think they run as cool (or warm) as each other, i.e., no difference in cooling between the two models - just my $.02

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

If anything, it would run warmer, since the processor is faster and there is a dedicated GPU.

Does yours get too warm? If so you might want to get it checked out.

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

The temperature in which the machine runs has several contributing factors. Is the machine charging at the same time? This can cause the machine to get warm. Also, observe the surface the machine is placed on. Ideally, it should be placed on a hard surface such as a desk, table, or counter.

Do you have several applications open at once?

It is quite normal for you to feel the heat from the aluminum unibody as it assists in dissipating heat from the core components. It will feel much warmer than their plastic competitors. It is in fact, designed to get warm when needed.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed since the fans are the same, the machine that is running at full max capacity will be "hotter" since the $2599 model has a beefier CPU and GPU it has the potentional to run hotter

6. rex450se macrumors regular

I think it depends on the task. Compare this to the difference between my wife and I carrying 100 pound sand bag to the end of the driveway and back. It's the same task but I will get it done quicker and probably without breaking a sweat. She will take a little longer and probably be sweating quite a bit. I believe for some tasks the higher end one will run cooler. Just my thought on the matter.

7. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

This is getting a bit off track from the OP's question, but I had to reply to say that's there's actually some truth to your logic on this.

If we look at Anand's results from the i7 vs i5 2013 MBA we see that at low loads the faster CPU actually produces better battery life, which means it uses less power during a given period of time. This should translate into lower heat output, as heat is a waste product of the energy usage by the system and should be proportional to power used.

This is most likely because it's a higher-binned chip that can maintain the same frequencies at slightly lower voltage. I'm going really off the track now, but if you could configure the frequency range of the faster chip to match the slower one you should see consistent efficiency gains at all work loads because of the lower voltages. Not easily (or at all?) possible on a rMBP, but still kind of interesting.

Unfortunately in real world terms this is largely academic since we're seeing a 2% increase in efficiency (and again only at "low" usage levels). I doubt anyone could really detect a 2% drop in temperature without measuring it.

Here are the stats I referenced for anyone who hasn't seen them: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u/4

In practice the faster system's exterior did get warmer (though only slightly). It can hit significantly higher peak temperatures, but tends to mostly even out over a long period of usage.

As a direct answer to the OP's question: No, in fact on average the faster system will likely run just a bit warmer.

8. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Agree ! 100%

people who don't agree dont quite know how a DGPU works !

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The faster one should theoretically finish tasks faster and go to idle sooner. In reality you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference.