Will the 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display work with my MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dferigmu, Feb 20, 2012.

1. dferigmu, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

dferigmu macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook Pro from 2009 with a Mini DisplayPort for video out. I’d like to buy Apple’s 27" Cinema Display but am not sure if the Thunderbolt version would work with my MBP. This is what I was wondering:

1. Is it possible to use the 27" Thunderbolt Display with an older MBP? Does the display have a Mini DisplayPort or are there Thunderbolt to Mini DisplayPort converters available?

2. What are the main differences between the 27” LED Cinema Display and the Thunderbolt Display?

I think I’m stuck in a bind because I’d like something that will work with my current MBP (in addition to future MBPs) but don’t want to spend $1000 for old technology.

Thanks for any help!

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

No, the Thunderbolt Displays can only be used with the 2011 Macs. (No Mac Pro).

The differences from the LED Cinema Display are the FireWire 800, Gigabit Ethernet and of course Thunderbolt port and cable. Plus, you need to plug in the USB on the LED Cinema Display for the USB hub to work. The ATD, just the Thunderbolt Cable. Other than ports, the displays are identical.

The Cinema Display will work with all Mac's with a Mini DisplayPort. The Thunderbolt Display has to have a Thunderbolt Port.