will the 2tb hdd's work with the early 2008 mac pro's?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alam, Nov 19, 2008.

1. alam macrumors regular

alam

hello
    i was searching recently on the web for the new 2 tb hdd's :rolleyes:
    and i found that only 2 company's until now they announce that they will release it this year (Western Digital - Seagate) will the 2tb hdd's work with the early 2008 mac pro's?
    tnx

2. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

In theory there is no reason why it would not work.

But I'm not sure anyone would know for sure as they are not released yet ...

3. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

SATA uses 48-bit addressing, thats 128 petabytes or 131,072TB

Think about the day they go 64 bit addressing...16.8 million terabyte capacity....

128 bit...274,877,906,944 yottabytes! The entire collective capacity of the computer industry doesn't amount to 1 yottabyte yet.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

According to one study, all the world's computers stored approximately 160 exabytes in 2006, with nearly 1 zettabyte projected by 2010.

That's crazy! Just think in 25 years people will be complaining that they don't have enough yottabytes on their cellphone :rolleyes:

Buy yeah, I don't see why the 2tb(when they are released to the public) wouldn't work in a MP. They will still work in my G5.(hopefully :p)

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Assuming there any bugs with the drives at release, then Yes, they will work. :)

But looking at the 1.5TB units from Seagate ATM, bugs will have to be sorted first. ;) :p

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

WHEN?! WHEN?! WHEN?!

I guess I won't hit "purchase" on this 1.5TB HDD that I was planning to get today...

This year, still, huh?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Oh great-- now there will be people asking for help on how to keep from "loosing" even more data since they will not have backed those up either....:rolleyes: ;)

8. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well i saw it in the original western digital web site but i don't remember the page, and for seagate i heard they were only planing on making it and it will be ready at the mid of 2009 or before i'm not quit sure about the date sorry :(

http://www.slashgear.com/seagate-enterprise-ssds-in-development-2tb-hdd-in-2009-3011841/