iPad Will the 32gb ipad be ditched too?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GadgetSN, Sep 17, 2014.

1. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Like with the iphone 6 are people expecting free double memory relative to old prices except for the entry level 16gb. So 64gb, 128g and 256gb at the same price to the current 32gb, 64gb and 128gb respectively. It would mean a significant drop in used ipads but a great incentive to buy new ones.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Someone had a created a similar thread and posted that Apple could ditch the 32GB in favor of the 64GB and keep the 16GB in place. If that happens it could cause people to upgrade more because you are going from 16 to 64 for $100 more.

I always buy the 32GB so getting an extra 32GB is a pretty sweet deal.

3. arbogast777 macrumors regular

Agreed I always got the 32GB so now I will get 64GB for the same price

4. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

5. gooberq macrumors member

i think so, walmart had the ipad 4 32 gb for 298 some time last week. They are clearing out the inventory and i dont see the 32 gb ipad 4 in apple store.

6. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Before the iPhone 6 announcement, I did not think Apple would ditch the 32GB model of iPhone. But I was wrong on that.

Considering they have moved to 16GB/64GB/128GB on iPhone, I think it a good possibility they will follow suit on the iPad.

I think it less likely, but not impossible, that they offer a 256GB model.

The reason I say less likely is that 256GB gets you into MacBook Air territory which means full OSX. I don't think Apple is ready this year for the full OSX experience on a tablet.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

While I agree on your skepticism about a 256GB iPad, I don't agree with your reason. Storage does not make a MacBook. I do not believe that increasing the storage will make people to abandon MacBooks and go into iOS.

The capability gap between the MacBook and the iPad (for those who actually need the capability) is still signficant. The folks who can use either device (for FB/ email/ light browsing etc.) can switch to an iPad now and do not require 256GB to be functional.

8. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I agree that storage does not make a MacBook. But Apple needs to keep the incremental cost of storage as consistent as possible across its entrie product line. If they fail to do this then they seed doubt into the consumer's mind as to whether they are getting good value for their money.

You can't charge $1 per GB on an iPad and then $6 or $7 per GB on a MacBook. The consumer will eventually catch on that they are being fleeced and move to another brand.