Will the 3G get rotation lock? How will it work seeing as its found in multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellomoto4, Jun 21, 2010.

1. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

All in the title.

How will (if it does) the 3G implement rotation lock in iOS 4.0, seeing as it's found within in multitasking bar of iOS 4.0?
    Obviously 3G isn't getting multitasking either :mad:

Thanks!

2. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Good question. You can always jailbreak and use the workaround to get multitasking working on the 3G. Not sure if that really answers the question though.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Rotation lock hasn't been present in any of the betas. Unlikely to be present in the final release.

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Thats a 3GS, not a 3G. Rotation lock has been in the latter betas of iOS 4.0 for 3GS and 3rd gen iPod touch.

But this thread is about the 3G.

7. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Oh I thought you were saying that it wasn't in iOS 4 altogether. That makes sense. So I guess 3G users are SOL for rotation lock if what you're saying is true for the final version.

8. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I'm running 4 GM on my 2G touch and have rotation lock working through the redSnow jailbreak.

If it can be done on the second gen touch, I don't see why it can't be done on the iPhone 3G.

9. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Since the iPod controls are also there, I assume you'll just get the bit 3GS, iP4 and iPT3 users get when they swipe left. If not, then yeah, jailbreak, you'll be able to get multitasking and the like working like that too (if not yet, you will eventually).

10. revs macrumors regular

i just used the redsn0w jailbreak to get it. but a word of warning, seems the redsn0w jailbreak ruins the battery life, the thing drains even on standby, 17% and only had it on for 5hrs

11. BrentT macrumors member

BrentT

OS4 will be released today, here is what you will see on the 3G: On the 3G there is no multitasking (it takes too much RAM to work), no rotation lock (I don't think it is on any of the phones), and there is no background images behind the app icons. It does allow folders and a combined e-mail inbox. There are a few small improvements like a location aware icon, better icons for the default apps, zoom for the camera, and choice of search engine, among others.

The addition of folders is the best addition of them all. If you are getting an iPhone 4 on Thursday I recommend updating the 3G, create your folders, then back up. When you upgrade to the new phone all your folders will be transferred for your pleasure.

12. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Rotation lock IMO seems kinda pointless when all it does is lock it into portrait orientation only though.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Have you ever tried to use an iPhone while laying on your side?

Trust me, it's very useful.

14. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I do all the time, but what I'm saying is it shouldn't just be limited to portrait mode.

15. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I do agree, that is a silly limitation. But the feature is still useful.

16. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yeah, the jailbreak will probably enable a lot of this stuff, but 3G users are SOL for pretty much everything in IOS4.

I don't like it, but at least I sold my 3G for the cost of my new iPhone 4, so even though I don't like being somewhat "forced" to upgrade, it works out well for me. ;)