Will the 3G iPhone sell out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evman101, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Evman101 macrumors member

So if I go later in the day on the 11th, will the 3G iPhone be all sold out at my AT&T store? I'm having a hard time judging whether or not this will be like the Wii, where you STILL can't find them anywhere. If I can avoid getting up and waiting in a line for no reason, I'll do it. :p Any thoughts?

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Somebody already posted the question I think. But no it will not sell out anywhere. I am 95% sure of it.

3. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Did the phone sell out last year?

I didn't buy until September, so I don't know if it'll sell out or not.

My guess would be that all of the stores will have fairly limited inventory - so I think chances are pretty good that they WILL sell out.

4. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

It will sell out but it is a matter of time, on Friday probably not, but by the end of the week end for sure.

And AT&T will have a lot less than Apple stores so depending on your area...

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

6. doug0365 macrumors member

I Don't think so but even if it does I'm sure the stores will get them a few days after its not going to be no where near like what happend with the Wii

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Take a quarter and flip it... heads it will sell out, tails it won't.

8. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, that makes things a little less annoying.

Also, I have a quick question regarding my upgrade eligibility that, if answered by someone here, could save me the hassle of calling AT&T and fighting with their customer service.

I'm a current AT&T customer without an iPhone, and I checked on AT&T's site, and all I can find for my phone is -

"You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment.This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 11/06/2008"

I have no idea what this means. I'm sure if Apple didn't have to use AT&T to sell the iPhone, everything would be MUCH simpler and easier to understand, in true Apple style! :)

9. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

In the UK o2 online crashed under all the demand then sold out an hour or so later, Carphone Warehouse's site began pre-orders at 12 and sold out at 4-5. So I think yes. Yes the iPhone 3g will sell out.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It means if you want to buy an iPhone you have to extend your contract for 2 years. You can't get the $199/$299 price until 11/6/08.

11. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

So because I've been with AT&T for more than 5 years (when they were Cingular), and I've been loyal to them, I have to pay 500 bucks instead of someone who is just switching to AT&T and gets it for 300?

How does that make any sense?

12. verks macrumors member

verks

My buddy works at an at&t store and said they received 50 last year and sold out in 45 minutes. They expect to sell out again but he does not know how many they will get but said they expect another shipment on Saturday morning.

13. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

If the iphone sells out I will be surprised..

Highly doubt it...

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, it's really up to you. If you believe that the iPhone will be sold out for the next 16 months (and I'm not sure why you would) then by all means, get up early.

15. KratosKilla macrumors regular

YEa

That stinks. Maybe if you tell them that they will make exceptions.

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

When did you get your last subsidized phone? 11/06/06 probably.

17. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Doubt it'll sell completely out. They might sell out of one color or size but I'm sure Apple knows the demand. They met the demand last year and I think there was even more hype than this time around and with the economy as bad as it is some people can't afford to spend as much as the iPhone plans are.

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

The Wii is sold out because Nintendo is purposely limiting the American supply due to the weak dollar. They are shipping more units to Japan, Europe, etc. because their currency is stronger, which = more money for Nintendo. That said, I don't think it will sell out but it depends on how big your AT&T store is (how many phones they received), how many AT&T stores are around, etc.

Also AT&T says they will look into your account standing, how many months you have left of your current contract, etc. Usually if you are 18-21 months into your 24 month contract, they will let you upgrade.

19. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

The agree.

Here in the UK the demand shown for this device is off the scale.

O2 saw it coming, tried to handle it, and failed.

The iPhone 3G will sell out, on Friday 11th, or by Monday 14th at the latest.

R-Fly

20. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

They also sold for $500+ last year.

The most expensive model this year is $299.

I expect the AT&T stores, which will get limited inventory, will sell out quickly.

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Lot of misinformation in this thread...

AT&T stores will sell out within the morning. Apple stores might have some left over the weekend at some stores, but i can put money on the fact that AT&T stores are going to sell out fast.

22. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

it also depends where u go AT&T or Apple and what time you get there.... I hope they don't sell out I plan on going around 2am to get in line!

23. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

OK there is ZERO chance of me going to the store at 2am....

The local Apple store is in a mall not too far from my work. I was thinking I might go by at lunch time and see what they've got.

Or I might just play with the new 2.0 OS during lunch on my current iPhone.

24. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

thats up to you buy i want an iphone on iDAy!