Will the 4,7" be this years 5C?

kristoffer4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
If there are two versions of the iphone 6 how much cheaper will the 4,7" be? My guess is that the 5,5 is 100 dollars more and then the 4,7" is the same price as the 5S is now.

Or maybe the 4,7" will be priced like the 5C and the 5,5" will then replace the 5S. Thoughts?

Last edited:

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
If there are two versions of the iphone 6 how much cheaper will the 4,7" be? My guess is that the 5,5 is 100 dollars more and then the 4,7" is the same price as the 5S is now.

Or maybe the 4,7" will be priced like the 5C and the 5,5" will then replace the 5S. Thoughts?

----------

I can see this has already been discussed elsewhere. Go ahead and delete this thread then. Sorry.
No, obviously not.
A 5.5" phone is a "phablet" which is a very specific sector of the market, for people who want both a tablet and a phone".
A 4.7" phone is normal size.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G3
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Indeed, the 4.7" phone will be the phone you see more of generally and the larger display will have its own sector of Apples market. I don't expect the 5.5" to be as popular personally.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Doubt it, the 4.7 will probably be the "flagship" and the 5.5 will be offered to those who prefer a bigger screen.

marvz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Doubt it, the 4.7 will probably be the "flagship" and the 5.5 will be offered to those who prefer a bigger screen.
Right. 4.7 new flagship phone and the 5.5 will be a new product category and therefore it's own flagship. It will be like the iPad mini and iPad Air.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Right. 4.7 new flagship phone and the 5.5 will be a new product category and therefore it's own flagship. It will be like the iPad mini and iPad Air.
I took a full generation, product cycle before the iPad Mini to reach feature parity with iPad.

If you for some reason want to make that iPad comparison. Expect the smaller 4.7 to feature last years A7, and the 5.5 to get the new A8.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I also belong to the group that would buy a 4.7" but not a 5.5".
Apple has certainly looked at the sales figures of the 5c.

Even if they still claim that it was successful, I doubt they will repeat the high-end, mid-end game.

The 5c was not a low-end, mind you. The pricing prevented that. For good reasons. Apple should never go below a certain price tier to keep its brand value.

marvz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I took a full generation, product cycle before the iPad Mini to reach feature parity with iPad.

If you for some reason want to make that iPad comparison. Expect the smaller 4.7 to feature last years A7, and the 5.5 to get the new A8.
Because in the first cycle they don't wanted to reach feature parity.
The 4.7 will never stay with the A7. I laugh at all people who really think Apple will introduce only a 5.5'' flagship "phone" if today their flagship is at 4''. It would be like "Oh look, we are selling millions of 4'' iPhones. Let's make only a real new 5.5'' iPhone.". Anyway thanks for the laugh :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Will the 4,7" be this years 5C?

Because in the first cycle they don't wanted to reach feature parity.
The 4.7 will never stay with the A7. I laugh at all people who really think Apple will introduce only a 5.5'' flagship "phone" if today their flagship is at 4''. It would be like "Oh look, we are selling millions of 4'' iPhones. Let's make only a real new 5.5'' iPhone.". Anyway thanks for the laugh :D

Meh you are getting too caught up in SOC version numbers. The 3GS to 4 for example were both single core, ARM Cortex A8 with SGX535 GPUs. Only difference was manufacturing process 65 nm to 45 and a 200 MHz clock speed bump.

That said it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple do the same for a 4.7" iPhone model. A7s/A8 being a clock speed bump to compensate for screen size. 5.5" model having a A8s/A9 (depending on what the 4.7" gets).

I'm not saying that's my opinion just something that wouldn't surprise me. Regardless point is A7/A8/etc are just names.

Look at Samsung. They throw hardware at there devices regardless and the Note has more powerful hardware then the Galaxy line.

marvz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Meh you are getting too caught up in SOC version numbers. The 3GS to 4 for example were both single core, ARM Cortex A8 with SGX535 GPUs. Only difference was manufacturing process 65 nm to 45 and a 200 MHz clock speed bump.

That said it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple do the same for a 4.7" iPhone model. A7s/A8 being a clock speed bump to compensate for screen size. 5.5" model having a A8s/A9 (depending on what the 4.7" gets).

I'm not saying that's my opinion just something that wouldn't surprise me. Regardless point is A7/A8/etc are just names.

Look at Samsung. They throw hardware at there devices regardless and the Note has more powerful hardware then the Galaxy line.
Ok, that's true. My point was just that Apple will never make the 4.7 not a flagship by giving it the old A7 from the 5s.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Ok, that's true. My point was just that Apple will never make the 4.7 not a flagship by giving it the old A7 from the 5s.

I don't think so either but I could see them bumping it's specs and the 5.5" having better specs. The 5.5" will need better specs to bench mark as good as the 4.7" does.

Many will perceive that as a bigger/better flagship model.

Regardless your right the 4.7" is going to need to have better specs just to push more pixels from a larger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.