will the 4s having 512mb of RAM be a problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 10, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 has 512mb. That phone has no problems.

No, It will be fine.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Apple knows how to make hardware and software run smooth as butter, silk, or whatever you like. A 512 iPhone will probably run better than a 1GB Android device.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definitely. It will be catastrophic. Apple is doomed! Steve Jobs will come back from the dead to educate us all "no RAM for you!"

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then you will be disappointed.

The iPad 2 rocks with 512MB.

6. Almeuit macrumors regular

Its all speculation anyway. It could be 512, 768, 1 GB ...no one knows. And the claims of "If it was 1GB it would run like crap anyway" are stupid people who don't know what they are talking about.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Also you guys don't seem to realize that the 512 of RAM in the A5 is faster RAM than the 512 in the iPhone 4.

The iPad 2 has 512 MB of this RAM, and everyone in the world agrees the system is blazing fast.

8. Almeuit macrumors regular

The A5 and A4 chip are not RAM there guy. RAM is RAM .. thats the processor. Sheesh :rolleyes:

9. rkahl macrumors 65816

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, RAM does come in various speeds, so it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility they used faster RAM too. But that would be pure speculation at this point...

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

12. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

13. Almeuit macrumors regular

This is a true fact you are right Boater. But he simply (from his post) is basically saying the A5 "RAM" is faster than A4 "RAM" which isn't the case. Those are processors. Now the RAM that is running WITH the A5 might be faster yes ... just like a i7 processor for a computer can have different RAM speeds...

But people dont say this i7 RAM is faster than that i7 RAM ... Because that's a processor....

----------

SO what you linked a SoC link? grats? let me link you the A5 chip ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5

Produced March 2011
    Designed by Apple
    Common manufacturer(s)
    Samsung Electronics
    Max. CPU clock rate 1 GHz dual-core (iPad 2, iPhone 4S)
    Min. feature size 45 nm
    Instruction set ARM v7
    Cores 2
    L1 cache 32 kB instruction + 32 kB data
    L2 cache 1 MB
    Predecessor Apple A4

Hmmmmm............. no RAM ... hm...... computers ARE HARDZZZ

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup, agreed. Here is a link to a post on the differences in processor and RAM in the iPad 2, which uses the A5 processor. Doesn't mean the iPhone 4S is the same, but likely it is.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13541441&postcount=56

EDIT: Yup, same article. It is possible!

15. Almeuit macrumors regular

More than likely. It will prob match up to the iPad 2 .. just in the iPhone 4S

16. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

17. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

From the Wikipedia article you posted:
    The Apple A5 is a package on package (PoP) system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed by Apple and manufactured by Samsung[1] to replace the Apple A4.

From the Wikipedia definition of a system-on-a-chip:

A typical SoC consists of:
    One microcontroller, microprocessor or DSP core(s). Some SoCs – called multiprocessor System-on-Chip (MPSoC) – include more than one processor core.
    Memory blocks including a selection of ROM, RAM, EEPROM and flash.
    Timing sources including oscillators and phase-locked loops.
    Peripherals including counter-timers, real-time timers and power-on reset generators.
    External interfaces including industry standards such as USB, FireWire, Ethernet, USART, SPI.
    Analog interfaces including ADCs and DACs.
    Voltage regulators and power management circuits.

Sorry, the A5 does not refer to the Cortex A9 MPCore processor alone. The "A5" refers to everything on there. Just like when you say "Tegra 2" you're not saying the processor alone, but the processor, GPU, RAM, and other things (listed above).

18. docgerrard macrumors 6502

There is no telling what it is. The 512 talk just comes from a developer of infinity blade who said there was only 512.. but he could have been assuming it was 512 just as much as most people on this forum

i mean it still might be 512.. and to be honest there is nothing that leads us to believe there would be more

but with the hardware coming out these days, i would be very shocked if it wasn't 1gb

19. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

No almeuit you are wrong. The A5 does in fact use faster RAM. All RAM is not created equal. If it was we would all still be using SRAM from back in the early 90's. The A4 used DDR and the A5 uses DDR2 which is generally faster. This does aid in the overall quicker feel to the entire system. However the dual core processor of the A5 combined with the out or order architecture probably has more to do with the overall responsiveness of the system....

P.S. This is all entry level computer hardware knowledge so you may want to brush up before you open your mouth next time and look like a fool....

20. Theraker007 macrumors regular

I don't get the point of this conversation. Are you going to cancel your preorder based on this information(probably not)? Was 1gb ever promised to you?

How about we just wait to see benchmarks before we get all up in arms about what the definition of RAM is.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really? There is no need for this. I probably forgot more about computers than most here and you don't see me acting like a donkey about it. Let's try to discuss and learn without the hate, shall we?

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I haven't heard anyone (who actually owns one) complaining about the lack of RAM on either iPhone 4 or iPad 2. Now the early 128 MB models were pretty constrained, true, but when you double RAM you're actually getting more than double the usable RAM, because the OS takes up a good chunk of that (you can see in your Settings app > General > About how much is available). For example, the 3GS with its 256 MB RAM had about 4X the usable/available RAM as the 128 MB 3G. Furthermore, since Apple is still selling the 3GS and iOS 5 will run on it I really don't expect it'll be much of a problem. 512 MB is enough, for now, with an intelligently designed OS and apps.

23. Virance macrumors regular

As a developer I can tell you that the amount of RAM the device has is of enormous importance when developing for iOS. By not increasing it to 1g they are ensuring that any "retina" apps will work as expected across all retina devices. The actual feel difference with a 1GB version of the iPhone 4s would be minimal, but it would open up a world of potential issues with newer generation applications depending on heavier RAM usage.

Really, they are forcing developers hands here (which is fine in this case) to the benefit of iPhone 4 users. The tangible gains of 1gb simply are not worth that trade off just yet. When they feel increasing the RAM will offer a user experience improved significantly enough to warrant opening up the app implications, they will do it (the cost of doubling the RAM is relatively trivial).

24. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Plenty of people jailbreak their iPhones and add tweaks and themes.

Having 1GB would relieve the constraints that iPhone4 has right now and jailbreaked phones would not always be slowed down unlike right now.

25. Virance macrumors regular

Do you actually work at HiRez? If so, as a fellow game developer (though I am indie) I think you guys do some incredible work given your budget! Cannot wait to see what you do with Tribes.