Will the 8/8+ be the last TouchID iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Solomani, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I originally was planning to keep my lovely iPhone 6S for at least another year. But the realization that the iPhone 8/8+ might be the very last iPhone with a TouchID home button is making me consider getting one (and enjoying a TouchID phone for at least another few years).

What's your opinion? Will Apple still release just one more TouchID phone for 2018? Maybe the 8S/8S+ ?

Or is Apple hell-bent that all future phones after the X will be strictly FaceID and Home-less?

2. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Its a part of the reason i went for the 8+. Getting the best iteration of the touchid model.

Instead of the worst of the new model.

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It might be. We'll have to wait and see.

I value and love TouchID.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

It's hard to say. Apple is all over the place right now. My best guess would be, at a minimum the 8 will still be sold next year at a reduced price as the 6S and 7 are now.

I'd just wait until next year and if the new phones don't have touch id, get a new 8 at a reduced price.

5. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

6. iAVERY macrumors regular

I personally think that apple really wanted to have both touch id under the display and face id this year. I anticipate this to be the car next year with whatever the 2nd gen iPhone x is called.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Naw, I feel like we will see an iPhone 9 which will be the last to incorporate the home button and Touch ID. It would make sense for Apple to keep around a "lower end" phone for at least one more cycle.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Agreed. I think we see touchID built into the display next year in conjunction with faceID. I do think this may be the last of the physical home buttons though. Even if they update the SE. I think it will be with touchID under the hood. I also think it means the price will be significantly more expensive. The home button will still be around because the iphone 8 will be sold for a few more years.

9. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yes. All the early rumors did point out that Apple was working feverishly (and were stymied) in getting TouchID to work with the iPhone X, while still wanting to debut FaceID. It was one of the proposed reasons why the announcement and shipment of the X is quite delayed.

So maybe it's a nice dream that the 2018 iPhones would have both FaceID as well as a functional "under-the-glass" TouchID/home button? I can dream.

10. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Can't you do Touch ID through the screen? Like, put your thumb on the screen and it unlocks. The technology has to exist. The phone can take a small screenshot and analyze or something.

11. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i think there will be a 8s next year, with upgraded internals but the same body.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Not with the level of accuracy and security of the physical button

13. TheColtr macrumors 6502

I believe the rumors were that OLED screens are harder to do it on. perhaps it has to do also with 3D Touch?

14. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

My guess is there will be an 8s next year which will still have the current touch ID technology.

Also at some point in the future, probably within 3 years there will be a touch ID option under screen. At least I hope so.

15. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

This... didn't realize it till now. if they are gearing towards the faceID... the 8 series MAYBE the last and best touchID enabled phone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    Uhhh NO. there will NOT be an 8S lol. the 8 series is already the 7S. LOL. If they do release an 8S, i would be surprised. this would bring the 7 series to a 3 year cycle. well technically we're already in the 4th cycle of this chassis.

6s
    7- remember when people laughed at 7 as a 6SS? lolll
    8- 7S, well 6SSS haha
    8S- uhm NO.

16. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

You are correct. I currently have the 6S, which is the same chassis as the 6, and almost identical chassis as the 7 (the main exterior difference is the 7 lost the audio jack at the bottom). But they are all the same chassis since I can use the same exact iPhone cases for the 6, 6S, 7, and maybe even the 8?

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Next year, it's been rumored that there will be two iPhone X models, a 5.8 and 6.4 I believe. But the iPhone 8 will remain in the lineup still with touch ID, likely by the discontinuation of the iPhone 6s.

18. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

The new se model will most likely have touch id as well