Will the 9800 Pro 256MB work in an MDD?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

As some of you may know my PowerBook decided to explode a couple of weeks ago & I've been on the lookout for a PowerPC Mac to fill the void.

Thanks to an incredibly generous donation from chrismacguy (used to be a regular on here a year or two back) I've got a dual 867MHz MDD on the way! Now I believe it has the stock GeForce 4 MX card w/ 32MB VRAM & for what it is it isn't a bad little card, but I (eventually) want to pretty much max the thing out with upgraded CPU's, 2GB RAM, USB 2.0, a nice SATA SSD, the whole works, and I figured getting a new GPU would be a good starting point.

I'm not too fussy - I just want something that'd run Leopard nicely. I was looking at a couple of 9000 Pro's which aren't bad cards, but then I noticed a Mac edition 9800 Pro was - now that is an 8x AGP card pulled from a G5. I want to know if it'll work in an MDD? Obviously it can't run at full whack because of the 4X AGP slot in the G4, but it's packing a lot more under the hood than a 9000 Pro so I figured I may as well pick it up if it indeed will work in an MDD.

Cheers guys.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I may be wrong, but I think the only G5 OEM card that can be altered to work in a MDD is the ATI 9600.

3. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Bollucks.

Anybody out there with a final, definitive answer? It may be worth my while having a look at flashing a PC card to be honest. As I went from the FX5200 to the 6800 Ulta DDL in my G5 I've never had to give it even a second thought.

4. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

I have to admit I've got a 9800pro running quite nicely in the model prior to your MDD, though I don't know the provenance of it - it does make the ol' G4 pretty handy tho' :)

Probably worth a go….?

5. GearHeadG5 macrumors newbie

Yes it does, I have the model with the red PCB and aux power connection. I'm not sure about the special G5 version with a blue PCB and no aux power. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

6. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

There's different colours?!? :confused:

Mine's a red pcb if it helps….

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

While researching for my 9800 it was mentioned that the G5 9800 won't work in a G4. The retail version will. The difference between the two is that the G5 version has an ADC port. And it's blue.

Retail versions are red and have a DVI port instead of an ADC port.

Gotfrey. There is a vendor selling 9800s on Amazon right now. I got mine for $59. Don't know if they'd ship internationally though.

8. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hmm... The one I've been looking at is indeed a G5 card (blue PCB). I'm not too keen on having stuff shipped across the world unless absolutely necessary so I guess I'll play the waiting game!

Thanks for the replies guys.

9. 666sheep, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

10. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

A dual-DVI (not DVI/ADC) Mac Edition 9650 has popped up on eBay... And it says it's compatible with both the PowerMac G4 and G5.

Now I believe these originally came with the '04 G5's, but I've heard they're not 'plug & plug' in the G4's, but can work with a bit of tape.

Is this correct?

[​IMG]

11. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

Bearing in mind that this is now sort of 8 or 9 years ago now, but I recall having to tape pin 3 and 11 when putting the card in an AGP 4x slot - from what I recall, if you get it wrong, it just doesn't work. Make sure the piece of tape is long enough NOT to get lost in the slot - probably best not to ask me about how I have practical knowledge of that…

12. OrangeSVTguy, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I used to use flashed PC 9800 Pros in all my old G4s; Sawtooth, Digital Audio, Gigabit Ethernet and MDD. I think they required taping pins 3 and 11.

I think I still have one in the basement. Has a very nice ATI passive cooler on it. I don't know if it works or not but you can have it. If not the cooler alone would definitely be worth it.

Added:
    Hey I even found an 6800 ultra 256mb. I think I used that one in my G5 AGP. It's been so long ago, it's missing the cooler since I think it was making noise and why I removed it to replace but never did. If you want to mess with them, you can have them both.

Attached Files:

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Here's the other photo since MR won't let me upload more than one photo at a time. I don't know if they work or not either so if you want to mess around with them you can have them.

Attached Files:

14. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I'm interested if Goftrey is not. Sent you a PM. :D

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah, I see he's in the UK. Shipping/VAT might be too high :( But if he passes, they are all yours. I'd like to see them go to a good home that could use them(if they work lol) At least the cooler would be worth it IMO. It was awesome and no sound!

On a side note, it's been a long time since I hung around the PPC forums :D

16. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Welcome back. And yes, it would be going to a good home, LOL. Right in my Quicksilver G4! Thanks!

17. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah I'll let eyoungren have this one. It's a nightmare shipping stuff across the atlantic & I've had an offer from another member here in the UK.

Thanks for the incredible generosity though!

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Thanks Goftrey! And OrangeSVTguy!