Will the AEBS ever have FW800?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fivepoint, Jul 9, 2008.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Sometime in the next year and a half, I would like to purchase one AEBS and one Drobo to use as a NAS Time Machine drive. The new Drobo was just released, with FW800, and it got me thinking... Will the AEBS ever have FW800? If so, when? If not, why?

At any rate, due to the speed limitations of wireless networking, is there even any good reason to worry about this? I know FW is more reliable, but not sure how much that would matter. I could simply buy a 1st generation Drobo without Firewire (for $150 less) and hook it up to a current AEBS without Firewire... but I just don't want to be buying out-of-date technology.

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

yea, i know what you mean about buying out of date tech... umm I would like to see it, but I dont know how much the AEBS would benefit from a FW800 with wireless speed limitations... also FW800 tends to be used by more professionals and the AEBS is more of a consumer product... so i'm not sure... I would certainly like it, but we'll see..

3. superman193 macrumors regular

I believe the fastest speeds via wireless are 300 mbps and thats by dlink eXtreme N.. I think ABES only has N what is 108 mbps (srry if thats off) so anyway, Usb 2.0 cant even operate at its full speed so for that matter, you wont see 800 mbps any time soon.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

How about even FW400? And given that AEBS and TC have wired networking as well, it might be useful on a gigabit network. If nothing else for dual connector drives.

5. mtfield macrumors 6502

That's an interesting point about the gigabit ethernet, I forgot it had that (i bought mine 3 weeks prior to that update:() but I don't know, I would certainly love to see FW400/800 on it. 400 would be fine because there are 800->400 adapters i believe.. and 400 seems to be more prominent in the market

6. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

7. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I'm just thinking that I might as well get the first -gen Drobo and save $200 or whatever. I won't be using the FW800 anyway if I am using it as a networked Time Machine drive.

8. keltorsori macrumors regular

To answer the question directly: NO. As previous posters have said, if you're interested in such a thing, get a Drobo or something along those lines. Unfortunately there really isn't demand for such a feature on a consumer product like the AEBS