Will the AEBS support 2 USB Hard drives through a 4-port USB hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IrishDomer08, Mar 28, 2008.

1. IrishDomer08 macrumors newbie

I am wondering if I can plug my 2 external USB hard drives into a Airport Extreme Base Station at once using a 4-port USB hub. I'd like to use this configuration for Time Machine. One hard drive for each of my computers (ibook and iMac). Anyone have any experience doing this? If so, will the USB hub considerably slow down the data transfer?

Thanks! :apple:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, no problem...

I currently use one of them as Time Machine disk, the other just for "space". Don't see any problems with setting up the iBook and iMac to use different disks in their respective TM preferences... that first backup is painfully slow, though...
    ...but the hub itself shouldn't be a problem...

Having an old MacBook with G-capable wifi only, I even started up that initial backup wirelessly, quit, connected the disk using USB and finished it over USB, then reconnected the disk to the USB hub connected to my...even that was painfully slow...

3. dborja macrumors 6502a

Agree with Mitthrawnuruodo. I'm set up similarly: a 4-port USB hub to the AEBS with two external drives and a printer. No problems accessing all three devices. I use one of the hard drives as a common data area that I can reach from my laptops and the other one as an archive drive. For Time Machine, I have a third external drive which is connected to my iMac via Firewire; my laptops each have their own portable drives for Time Machine.

4. IrishDomer08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

I think I'll get the AEBS and use my existing external drives instead of Time Capsule. Save a little $$. :)

5. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

What about using a mobile usb hard drive that has no external power supply? Would the base station have enough power for 1 or 2 external drives? I think this would be a nice setup with few wires.

6. ahaley1986 macrumors member

is it possible to connect a HDD and a dvd drive through a usb hub using airport extreme????

7. Bambeezer macrumors regular

I use 1 portable Seagate free agent drive through a non powered hub and it works fine. I don't know about more than that though.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

most mobile hard drives only need one single cable to both power and transfer data, which is pretty cool.

i dont think that would be possible. it would only be possible on a 'n; network anyway because i know from sharing a dvd over a network completely bogged it down and froze up every 10seconds or so. quite annoying.

but yea i dont think you could share the dvd, unless...???