Will the Air 2 be the only tri-core model produced?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ACG12, Nov 17, 2015.

1. ACG12 macrumors 6502

Now that the Pro model is out and the A9 is confirmed to be a dual-core, will the Air 2 be the only model to get a triple core processor?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Apple's core count decision looks to be based on the thermal clearance vs. the single core speed (which is the sensible approach). In other words the third core was added to the A8X because two cores would have left thermal overhead, which is leaving performance on the table.

A9X is already thermally constrained with two cores because each core is significantly more powerful than the A8X cores. Adding a third wouldn't have done anything useful, so it didn't happen.

4. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

it's not that simple as 'let first put two cores in and see if there's room for more'..
    it's more a fine-tuned well balanced result. balancing single core performance, multi core performance and other stuff like technology (whether we can use 14nm or we have to stick with 22).

if they want, they can make cores in A9X smaller, slower and then there will be room the the third core right?

5. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Yep. I wouldn't rule it out, but I'd say relatively unlikely.

6. Billy95Tech Suspended

Maybe but i think 2 cores is enough at the moment!

Octa Cores which has 2 quad cores(8 cores) like in the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is a overkill at the moment!!!

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain