Will the Air ever get a redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LeandrodaFL, Aug 17, 2012.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

All Apple products get redesigns. The macbook had several incarnations. So did the MacPro, even the iPhone had diferent enclosures and now the macbook pro has a new look

When will the macbook air get a new look?

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

3. Calot macrumors regular

You may be off by 2-3 months. (I'm betting on July-August 2015)

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

This air design is relativley new, 2010 design, and apple tends to stick with there designs for a while.
    Powermac g5 > Mac Pro
    All Macbooks (Pre Unibody 2008+2010)
    All of the Unibody Pros
    All the minis (They redesigned after 5 years)

5. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

6. calvol macrumors 6502a

ALU is APPL's ®, can't see them moving away from that design element.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

8. lowbelly macrumors member

Yeah the pros kept their design through a lot of refreshes. It'll be a while.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I sure hope it's left as it is for at least another year or two. I find it simply outstanding. This is the one Apple laptop design that I find exactly to my liking.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I don't see why they should change, except for maybe a better material?

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

If they can find a design superior to the current MBA wedge, why not? Otherwise, I agree that making it look different just so the current batch of consumers have something tangible to show that they have the latest mac product is dumb. :D

Change should be functional and practical, not just for the sake of it.

12. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I want to see better battery life. If battery technology can't get us there in the interim I wouldn't mind a thicker wedge to accomodate a larger battery in all honesty. A thinner bezel, if it doesn't sacrifice structural integrity, would be a welcomed change as well.

13. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Now of they would only move the video port to the same side as the power port.

14. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia

No

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Why bother changing the design radically when the rest of the industry is just getting started copying the design? How many wedge designs were there before October 2010? How many are there now?

I think we'll see evolutionary changes to the current designs, but not much more for the next 2-3 updates. Perhaps we'll see slightly larger screens (i.e. smaller bezels), and the addition of Retina displays, but there is nothing really wrong with the current design, and a lot to like about it. They kept the polycarb MacBook for quite a while, and settled on the current iMac design. iPod hasn't changed much, and the iPhone's basic design has remained largely the same.

16. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

The Airs design is ridiculously simple, and Apple has always been about minimalist style. Any drastic changes would make it look more complex.

17. randomtask macrumors member

Redesign to thin the bezel and increase screen size. In that way, the 11inch current could house a 13" screen.

18. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Or they could make even smaller 11". But then they would have to make the keyboard smaller, which they won't. :)

Therefore your version is more realistic :)

19. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Amen, brother! Why did they decide to put the Thunderbolt port on the opposite side? It just seems odd, but I can guess that they needed a USB on both sides, and the 11" didn't have the room.

20. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

As wrinkster22 the Air has been re-designed.

It is interesting, because although the 2010 model is better from a practical perspective (number of ports, access to ports, rigidity of hinge) from a purely aesthetic viewpoint I preferred the more tapered look of the old model with the drop down door.

[​IMG]

In terms of improving the Air, Apple could probably shave off half a pound or more by moving to lighter weight materials like carbon fiber and magnesium alloy.

In addition the current 13" form factor could potentially hold a 14" display (as Lenovo demonstrate below), which would be an obviously useful:

[​IMG]

Of course they could do a Sony and fit a non ULV quad core i7, 13.1" 1080p matte display, gigabit ethernet into a smaller, lighter, thinner package than the current Air. But obviously the price would increase. Really a Vaio Z (with Apple designed trackpad and keyboard) running OS X would be the ultimate mobile device. Apple and Sony should work together again, like they did for the Powerbook 100.

Overall though they have far more right than wrong with the Air from a price/performance/design perspective. There is no need to make radical changes at this point in time.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I don't see a major design change in the future, the most recently redesigned laptop (15" Retina) pretty much continues in the direction of the current Air design.

One possibility might be a screen change in a couple of years, possibly to retina resolution and the extended-LCD-glass-bezel design of the Retina MBP.

Other than that I don't really see any need to change the externals. Of course the march of performance will continue with better processors, GPUs, SSDs, and battery life.

I'm thinking that that's the slot that will be filled by the 13" RMBP, although most likely 2560x1600 rather than 1080p.

22. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I sure hope so! The trackpad and keyboard on the Z leave a bit to be desired by 2012 standards. I hope Apple fit discrete graphics inside the Retina 13" as well, but I am not so hopeful about that one.

23. Carouser macrumors 65816

I think the tradeoffs make this an unattractive option, especially for the near- and mid- term future.

24. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

I don't see how the MacBook Air could be made any thinner, unless you drive a steamroller over one :p:eek: Maybe there'll be a 15" one eventually, or they might make a Retina one, but then it might end up being more like the rMBP.

25. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Magnesium would be AWESOME! It would be take a little weight off of the MacBook Air and also give it a nice darker shade than the bright aluminum.

Maybe make the Retina models out of Magnesium and the Standard ones out of Aluminum to create some type of distinction.