Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
All Apple products get redesigns. The macbook had several incarnations. So did the MacPro, even the iPhone had diferent enclosures and now the macbook pro has a new look

When will the macbook air get a new look?

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
All Apple products get redesigns. The macbook had several incarnations. So did the MacPro, even the iPhone had diferent enclosures and now the macbook pro has a new look

When will the macbook air get a new look?

This air design is relativley new, 2010 design, and apple tends to stick with there designs for a while.
Powermac g5 > Mac Pro
All Macbooks (Pre Unibody 2008+2010)
All of the Unibody Pros
All the minis (They redesigned after 5 years)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I sure hope it's left as it is for at least another year or two. I find it simply outstanding. This is the one Apple laptop design that I find exactly to my liking.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If they can find a design superior to the current MBA wedge, why not? Otherwise, I agree that making it look different just so the current batch of consumers have something tangible to show that they have the latest mac product is dumb. :D

Change should be functional and practical, not just for the sake of it.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I want to see better battery life. If battery technology can't get us there in the interim I wouldn't mind a thicker wedge to accomodate a larger battery in all honesty. A thinner bezel, if it doesn't sacrifice structural integrity, would be a welcomed change as well.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Why bother changing the design radically when the rest of the industry is just getting started copying the design? How many wedge designs were there before October 2010? How many are there now?

I think we'll see evolutionary changes to the current designs, but not much more for the next 2-3 updates. Perhaps we'll see slightly larger screens (i.e. smaller bezels), and the addition of Retina displays, but there is nothing really wrong with the current design, and a lot to like about it. They kept the polycarb MacBook for quite a while, and settled on the current iMac design. iPod hasn't changed much, and the iPhone's basic design has remained largely the same.

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
The Airs design is ridiculously simple, and Apple has always been about minimalist style. Any drastic changes would make it look more complex.

randomtask

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
Redesign to thin the bezel and increase screen size. In that way, the 11inch current could house a 13" screen.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Now of they would only move the video port to the same side as the power port.

Amen, brother! Why did they decide to put the Thunderbolt port on the opposite side? It just seems odd, but I can guess that they needed a USB on both sides, and the 11" didn't have the room.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
As wrinkster22 the Air has been re-designed.

It is interesting, because although the 2010 model is better from a practical perspective (number of ports, access to ports, rigidity of hinge) from a purely aesthetic viewpoint I preferred the more tapered look of the old model with the drop down door.

20101108220639392.jpg

In terms of improving the Air, Apple could probably shave off half a pound or more by moving to lighter weight materials like carbon fiber and magnesium alloy.

In addition the current 13" form factor could potentially hold a 14" display (as Lenovo demonstrate below), which would be an obviously useful:

DSC_7711-hero_gallery_post.jpg

Of course they could do a Sony and fit a non ULV quad core i7, 13.1" 1080p matte display, gigabit ethernet into a smaller, lighter, thinner package than the current Air. But obviously the price would increase. Really a Vaio Z (with Apple designed trackpad and keyboard) running OS X would be the ultimate mobile device. Apple and Sony should work together again, like they did for the Powerbook 100.

Overall though they have far more right than wrong with the Air from a price/performance/design perspective. There is no need to make radical changes at this point in time.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I don't see a major design change in the future, the most recently redesigned laptop (15" Retina) pretty much continues in the direction of the current Air design.

One possibility might be a screen change in a couple of years, possibly to retina resolution and the extended-LCD-glass-bezel design of the Retina MBP.

Other than that I don't really see any need to change the externals. Of course the march of performance will continue with better processors, GPUs, SSDs, and battery life.

Of course they could do a Sony and fit a non ULV quad core i7, 13.1" 1080p matte display, gigabit ethernet into a smaller, lighter, thinner package than the current Air. But obviously the price would increase. Really a Vaio Z (with Apple designed trackpad and keyboard) running OS X would be the ultimate mobile device.

I'm thinking that that's the slot that will be filled by the 13" RMBP, although most likely 2560x1600 rather than 1080p.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'm thinking that that's the slot that will be filled by the 13" RMBP, although most likely 2560x1600 rather than 1080p.

I sure hope so! The trackpad and keyboard on the Z leave a bit to be desired by 2012 standards. I hope Apple fit discrete graphics inside the Retina 13" as well, but I am not so hopeful about that one.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
In terms of improving the Air, Apple could probably shave off half a pound or more by moving to lighter weight materials like carbon fiber and magnesium alloy.

I think the tradeoffs make this an unattractive option, especially for the near- and mid- term future.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I don't see how the MacBook Air could be made any thinner, unless you drive a steamroller over one :p:eek: Maybe there'll be a 15" one eventually, or they might make a Retina one, but then it might end up being more like the rMBP.

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
As wrinkster22 the Air has been re-designed.

Magnesium would be AWESOME! It would be take a little weight off of the MacBook Air and also give it a nice darker shade than the bright aluminum.

Maybe make the Retina models out of Magnesium and the Standard ones out of Aluminum to create some type of distinction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.