Will the Airport Extreme Card work in this computer?

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Will the Airport Extreme card work in a g4 desktop (the mirrored drive door model)?

Or will this model of desktop take only the airport card?

Thanks.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
chuchichan2524 said:
Will the Airport Extreme card work in a g4 desktop (the mirrored drive door model)?

Or will this model of desktop take only the airport card?

Thanks.

Will work if the MDD G4 has Firewire 800.

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I see. So if it doesn't have firewire 800, the "regular" Airport card will work? I wasn't aware that there was more than one version of the G4 MDD model.

chuchichan2524

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I just checked the specs on the Apple website of the MDD G4 models. I don't think any of them come with firewire800? Is there a model that does that I am not aware of? I'm pretty sure that the model doesn't have firewire800.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
AirPort Extreme Card: Compatible Macintosh computers-page confirms that just the Power Mac G4 with FireWire 800 can use AirPort Express. The rest of the Power Mac G4s appear on the AirPort Card: Compatible Macintosh Computers-page.

Another problem is that those regular AirPort cards are quite difficult to find...

Sorry.

Interesting. And it is Airport Extreme BTW.

The FW800 model of G4 was sold for only a few months, then discontinued and a less powerful G4 sold in its place because the G5s were out.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Mechcozmo said:
Interesting. And it is Airport Extreme BTW.
He-he... I got it right at the link, at least... :eek: Fixed...

BTW, all of them can use AirPort Express, so it wasn't totally wrong... just usless information, in this case... ;)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
You could alwayys use a Belkin PCI wireless adapter which will be detected as an airport extreme card and will be a fair bit cheaper...

SHadOW ;)

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
shadowmoses said:
You could alwayys use a Belkin PCI wireless adapter which will be detected as an airport extreme card and will be a fair bit cheaper...

SHadOW ;)
I agree with shadowmoses. I've installed a Belkin PCI wilreless adapted in two G4's (a Sawtooth and a MDD), behaves just like an extreme, with no extra drivers, or any other hassle, after plugging it in, you won't even notice you've got an other card than the original.... and all of that for 15 euro's....

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Cuckoo said:
I agree with shadowmoses. I've installed a Belkin PCI wilreless adapted in two G4's (a Sawtooth and a MDD), behaves just like an extreme, with no extra drivers, or any other hassle, after plugging it in, you won't even notice you've got an other card than the original.... and all of that for 15 euro's....

what type of Belkin card did you buy (on the belkin site they only show pci cards in the non-apple section...) and 15 euro's??? they say 80usd for a pci card... if you mean the g type...

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Jo-Kun said:
what type of Belkin card did you buy (on the belkin site they only show pci cards in the non-apple section...) and 15 euro's??? they say 80usd for a pci card... if you mean the g type...
I bought the K5D7000 I believe. It's like $35 at Walmart. It worked flawlessly!

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Jo-Kun said:
I found this page particularly useful when sourcing a PCI wireless G card for a Blue & White PM. All the information should hold true for any PCI Macintosh running X.

jx

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Jo-Kun said:
no walmart here in belgium :p hehe ;-) anyway first I still need to get my G4 wich is at a friends place... and then see from there what I'll do with it ;-)
I'm surprised there's not a Walmart in Belgium. They seem to be everywhere else, lol. Anyways, that card is a great card I'd highly recommend you get it. Just not from Walmart.