Will the AirPort Extreme ever support NTFS formatted hard drives?

chapperdeemus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Hi,

I am a PC User (Sony Vaio E Series).

I am interested in buying an AirPort Extreme for a number of reasons:
*to link it up to my airport express for better wireless signal across across my house.
*to replace my current awful router.
*to hook it up my samsung 1TB portable hard drive, to access it around the house.

The hard drive reason is the most important factor, but I have just found out that the Extreme does not support NTFS formatted hard drives. This is pretty much a deal breaker for me, as I cannot reformat my NTFS drive to FAT32 or HFS+ because I do not have another hard drive to transfer all my content onto it whilst it is being formatted.

And I have a number of files on the drive that are over 4gb.

Is there any way around it? Or is there any evidence to suggest that the Extreme may one day support NTFS? Or is there something that fundamentally stops Apple from producing one that supports it?

Thanks

mfram

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
My understanding is that there are patent issues preventing Apple from using NTFS. I would doubt we'll see NTFS support anytime soon. Another option is to get a Time Capsule. That would include the extra hard drive space you need to transfer the data.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
you can get a new 1TB for $90 from newegg, or a 2TB for $120, why not get the extra space, copy your stuff to the new drive, then re-format the old?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hi,

I am a PC User (Sony Vaio E Series).

I am interested in buying an AirPort Extreme for a number of reasons:
*to link it up to my airport express for better wireless signal across across my house.
*to replace my current awful router.
*to hook it up my samsung 1TB portable hard drive, to access it around the house.

The hard drive reason is the most important factor, but I have just found out that the Extreme does not support NTFS formatted hard drives. This is pretty much a deal breaker for me, as I cannot reformat my NTFS drive to FAT32 or HFS+ because I do not have another hard drive to transfer all my content onto it whilst it is being formatted.

And I have a number of files on the drive that are over 4gb.

Is there any way around it? Or is there any evidence to suggest that the Extreme may one day support NTFS? Or is there something that fundamentally stops Apple from producing one that supports it?

Thanks
As suggested, buying another external would be a cheap alternative for safing the data before reengineering your infrastructure. Then with a cheap usb hub connected to the extreme you can connect both drives and actually keep your original data backed up regularly.

Otherwise, there may be cheaper routers on the market that might read NTFS drives.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I doubt it because why would it? Why would they cater to something like that? I agree with the above about buying a cheap external to resolve your issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.