Will the AirPort Extreme ever support NTFS formatted hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chapperdeemus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. chapperdeemus macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a PC User (Sony Vaio E Series).

I am interested in buying an AirPort Extreme for a number of reasons:
    *to link it up to my airport express for better wireless signal across across my house.
    *to replace my current awful router.
    *to hook it up my samsung 1TB portable hard drive, to access it around the house.

The hard drive reason is the most important factor, but I have just found out that the Extreme does not support NTFS formatted hard drives. This is pretty much a deal breaker for me, as I cannot reformat my NTFS drive to FAT32 or HFS+ because I do not have another hard drive to transfer all my content onto it whilst it is being formatted.

And I have a number of files on the drive that are over 4gb.

Is there any way around it? Or is there any evidence to suggest that the Extreme may one day support NTFS? Or is there something that fundamentally stops Apple from producing one that supports it?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not out of the box.

3. mfram macrumors 65816

My understanding is that there are patent issues preventing Apple from using NTFS. I would doubt we'll see NTFS support anytime soon. Another option is to get a Time Capsule. That would include the extra hard drive space you need to transfer the data.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can get a new 1TB for $90 from newegg, or a 2TB for $120, why not get the extra space, copy your stuff to the new drive, then re-format the old?

5. mslide macrumors 6502a

1) Buy a hard drive
    2) copy data
    3) return hard drive

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

As suggested, buying another external would be a cheap alternative for safing the data before reengineering your infrastructure. Then with a cheap usb hub connected to the extreme you can connect both drives and actually keep your original data backed up regularly.

Otherwise, there may be cheaper routers on the market that might read NTFS drives.

7. HotRodGuy macrumors regular

there are programs like paragon HFS that will allow you to read and write to HFS+ from a PC

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt it because why would it? Why would they cater to something like that? I agree with the above about buying a cheap external to resolve your issue.