Will the App Store also have Push Notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vandam500, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I have seen all the coverage and didn't see any mention about the updates for apps (Will we know if we have updates without opening the App Store. It would make sense if they have it but haven't seen anything.

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

thats actually not a bad idea. I would love to have a little text alert saying

"an update is avaialable for (insert app). Download/Dismiss"

Download and Dismiss would be the two options. Download would take you to the update screen with the version improvements, while dismiss would allow you to continue whatever you were doing.

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

a great idea, I've been wanting that for awhile. But as of 3.0beta3, it is not incorporated.

4. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I get notices now if I am patient and don't check manually.

5. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

what sort of notices are you getting? Are you talking about the little red numbers on the App Store icon? We know that those appear after a while, but we were thinking instant notification (right when an app update is approved and ready for download).

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Good idea. Steve said at the march 6 event that the App Store would automatically alert you when an update is available by a badge. Well guess what. It will give me a badge once I open the App Store and load the update section and then quit the app. So using push just to add the badge when an Update is available would be a good idea. Or even a little text box saying what another poster said.

7. iFerd macrumors 6502a

That's what I meant. It does push the notices in the sense that notice comes without running the AppStore application. But not instantly.

8. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Really? It has never done that for me and I've had my iPhone since September. As far as I'm concerned, the App Store never runs in the background nor does it check for any updates without the user opening it. Apple can easily implement a fetch type of settings for it such as what they have for the email; it really cannot be that hard to do.

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Yes, really. But I tend to check for updates before the badge appears, so I seldom see it. But yes, it really does work that way.

10. kraney548 macrumors newbie

Bad idea if implemented wrong by Apple...

the last thing apple would want to do is send mass notifications to users about updated apps. With an update to a popular app everyone would potentially hit the app store at once and bring it crashing down. One would think they would have to come up with a way to send groups of users the update to balance the load. I personally think it would be too much to keep track of. Let's also not forget about people that delete the apps, Apple would have to start keeping track of the exact apps on your phone or they'd end up sending updates to every app you've ever downloaded and do extra processing on the phone when it arrived to determine if you have the app installed.

I just don't see them doing this, but if they do i hope they think about the implications first.

However, I do think it would be interesting if they incorporated a "iTunes Artist Alert" to the itunes music store app and also the ability to alert you to new apps that meet some keywords.

11. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I love this idea. It'd also be nice if, like the Calendar app, the Clock/Weather apps changed icons based on the actual time/weather.

12. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

The servers crashing maybe but sending out information takes up little to no network usage. I also don't think that if the update is sent out then everyone will automatically update the application (School,Work,etc) on the instant. The whole sending out in groups is interesting but why would some people know there is a update before others? There has to be a easy way to do this where we all win :)

13. kraney548 macrumors newbie

subscribe to update notifications?

Perhaps you'd have to go to settings and see a list of all the apps you have installed and "subscribe" to get the update notifications, then if/when you delete the app it would ask you if you want to unsubscribe or stay subscribed to give the app another chance when it's updated?

Thoughts?

14. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

That is exactly what we need.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have a good idea for the App Store and Updates.

While in the App Store, tap on Updates. Then on an update that you don't want, just slide your finger to the left and choose "Ignore Update". The App will then appear ghosted (until you slide your finger to the right and tap "Show Update") There are certain apps that come out with an update that display ads or they have a crappy icon. Those are the apps that I don't really wanna update too but I get sick of iTunes and the iPhone showing me these updates.

16. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Awesome!!! Never thought about ignoring updates. Great idea!!:):)

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Agreed. I've been secretly hoping they'd allow us to ignore updates for awhile now. Like the AIM update, now there's those annoying ads (although they'll gladly SELL you one without them for $3!).

18. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I see your point and agree with it.

But, I think Apple is more interested in getting application updates out there for the bug fixes and stability reasons.

At least it's not like the Pre. Unless I'm misreading the webOS (Mojo) documentation, the Pre automatically updates all applications. It may only apply to native apps, I'm not sure. I see pros and cons to that update system.

19. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This might not be a big concern but if Apple had push enabled for new updates, people all over the world would get this message at roughly the same time. Might be an interesting phenomenon if Apple didn't stagger the outgoing push messages for a large, popular Application, QoS issues will arise.

But I'm sure that's what Apple would do :D

20. Williamapps macrumors member

so stranger