Will the Apple Bumper prevent shattering when dropped?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by msduncan, Jun 26, 2010.

1. msduncan macrumors 6502

I've been reading a few accounts of people dropping their phones 4 feet and the glass shattering.

Will the Apple bumper prevent such an occurrence from happening, or is it 100% for style instead of protection?

Or do I need to go with an entirely other brand of protection? There just doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there yet for the iphone 4.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The bumper will provide some drop protection, but it won't be the be-all end-all to drop protection. If you need something more extreme, I agree with asleep. Check out some of those cases.

3. Psant macrumors regular

I'd go with Otterbox for good drop protection.

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I was surely going naked with this phone til I read about it shattering from a drop. I keep mine in a pouch but don't take it out much in fear of dropping it. I want to use the camera more too. Anxiously waiting for the right case.

5. msduncan thread starter macrumors 6502

I am also disappointed about the shattering. I was going to go with it naked too.

6. msduncan thread starter macrumors 6502

Really struggling with the bumper case decision.

Several things:

1. it's 30 bucks, which is highly overpriced
    2. I have no feel for how well it would protect against a drop. It is especially overpriced if it doesn't protect at all from a drop.
    3. The white one shows a ship date of July 14th, which means weeks of unprotected phone usage.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't think the bumper is for protection. It seemed more like a way to have a good grip on the phone; when Jobs said it was glass I thought that it'd be slippery.

8. msduncan thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the main weakness of this hardened glass was dropping it on edge. The bumper slightly cushions the edge and also gives a slight prevention of direct impact with the glass if dropped on a hard surface.

Maybe I'm fooling myself and really need to get a case that wraps it. I love the look of the phone though and really didn't want to cover it up.

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

I just saw that the bumper has no glass back or nothing. It's just a piece of plastic that goes around the phone. WTF? Apple did this because of the service issues from the looks of it. I'm not paying nearly $35 bucks for it. Those things should be free.

10. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

11. burnside macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a case that would also protect the screen? I hike a lot and would like to find a case that has good protection for the front and back.

12. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I would like to see someone do a drop test with the bumper case on. If the phone was OK after 3-4 drops from 4 feet, I think you could conclude that the bumper is very effective at preventing screen shattering.

Unlike the 3g iphones, the 4 requires replacing both the LCD panel and glass screen. That is not going to be cheap.

13. princesspale macrumors newbie

Pretty sure the main weakness of all glasses is being dropped and then falling flat.

I've broken a 3 now. The original, a 3g, and 3gs. All had taken much harder and higher drops and survived easily.

Each time any of the 3 broke, there was barely any distance, but the way the phone was almost the same. Dropping/landing horizontal almost guaranteed screen shattering.

14. Blues003 macrumors 6502

For protection, you can't really beat Otterbox.

15. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Well, we've been seeing posts of broken screens, nobody has posted one that broke with a bumper on it. Let's see if broken phones start showing up with the bumper installed.

16. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Those are some fugly cases. I'll take the broken screen please.