Will the Apple Geniuses give me a top case?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shamanskyh, Jul 1, 2009.

1. shamanskyh macrumors member

My MacBook (white plastic) is just barely under warranty and my top case is beginning to chip on the edges. This has happened to me a few months ago and they replaced it at the Genius Bar but it took a few days. Tonight I tried to take my own top case out (just out of curiosity) and it was really really easy. Of course I could buy one of these top cases on eBay, but I'd rather get it for free through my warranty. Would they give me (or mail me) a new top case if I went to the store that I could put in myself? Probably not, but I thought it was worth asking.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say no... but you can certainly ask

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I have never heard of a single instance in which a retail store or service provider handed out service parts for end users to install on their own. As MacDawg said, you can always ask, but expect to have your request shot down.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

:apple: mailed me a new riser card for my computer but than again it's a Mac Pro and taking it in is a real pain...

5. iGary Guest

iGary

It's a known issue. If they originally say no, politely push for repair until they say yes.

6. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Doubt it but as MacDawg said "you can certainly ask"

7. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I actually had a problem a few years back with discoloration of the bottom part of the case of a White MacBook. Apple agreed to replace the shell and layer over the keyboard but they wouldn’t give it to me directly, it had to be shipped off. :(

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The case isn't considered a "user-serviceable" part, so it's really unlikely.

9. shamanskyh thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's what I thought but I just wanted to be sure. You'd be surprised how long it takes them to do what I could get done in under an hour..... (then again, there are other repairs ahead of me.)