Will the Apple store activate my phone tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone joe, Nov 2, 2017.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

I’m part of the IUP, I’m doing in store pickup tomorrow. My question is when I turn in my phone for the X will the Apple store activate the new phone there or will it activate when I go home and turn it on for the first time?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You can have your iPhone activated at the Apple store or you can have it activated at home as well. The choice is yours.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I typically wait till I get home to activate it. I usually don't even open the device until I get home.

4. iphone joe thread starter macrumors regular

iphone joe

But how does it work? It automatically activates when I tune it on?

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

When you turn it on and go through the set-up process, there is an activation screen. Its after you enter WiFi credentials, but before you log into iCloud. "Activating iPhone".

6. iphone joe thread starter macrumors regular

iphone joe

ok thanks for your help.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The included SIM card will do the activation and charge you an activation fee. If you already have a working phone, remove the included sim and insert your current sim and not activation fee will be charged.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I have wondered how that works. If I remove the included SIM card and put my SIM card in the device, will it prevent me from upgrading in the future? When I was purchasing an X on a line, I got a pop-up saying that you can only purchase one phone at full cost per line until I activate that phone. So if I don't activate that SIM card, does that prevent future full purchase upgrades if its not SIM free?

Or is that just a scare tactic and to prevent people from purchasing multiple devices at full price.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No it will not prevent you from upgrading in the future. The online pop-up is to tell that you can't order multiple iPhones and pay full price per carrier line otherwise scalpers would order 100 units and the rest of us would never get one.

Dave

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I figured as much. I normally don't purchase full price, so I haven't seen that notice.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have removed my SIM card from my existing phone and inserted in the new on on the last three phones and it worked perfectly. No activation fee will be charged.

12. engelke2010 macrumors 65816

The phone does cone with the SIM tool? I don't remember if the 7 came with one.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I prefer to use a paper clip as it is a bit more robust. Today SIM card tray require a good bit of pressure to release due to the gasket to prevent moisture from entering.