will the Apple store install a ssd to my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sheeracali, Aug 21, 2011.

1. sheeracali macrumors member

I have an iMac (mid 2007) and Im thinking about getting an sad to speed up boot time and stuff. I could install my self, but I would prefer a genius to do it for me. Will they? Thanks

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Hmmmmm?

Maybe if you bought it here at their inflated prices, but simple enough, do it yourself:cool:

3. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

HI,
    Authorized Apple Providers will, but Apple will not.

4. Dingers macrumors newbie

Not meaning to thread hijack but thought it was relevant.

Will any SSD on the market work in the 07 24" iMac?

I'm looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 120gb but I can't find any information on compatibility. I assume this is because they universally are but you can never be too careful.

5. Qwaf macrumors member

Yep, it'll work fine.

6. Dingers macrumors newbie

Great thanks, any confirmation of this from anyone else?

7. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

No.... It won't---unless this is an auxilliary drive and you aren't touching the main drive at all. Apple has added a bunch of stuff that doesn't make a simple installation of a main drive simple with proprietary cables and fan sensors. However, it you are going to install it in the auxilliary drive slot, you "should" be ok. It appears that the fan issues and other stuff that would foul up the hardware test are only if you install the drive as a replacement for the main drive.

Go to iFixit and get their instructions.

8. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that the 07 iMacs didn't have the temp sensors in the HDD as the new ones do. Installing a replacement SSD in the older model should cause no problems. You might look into getting a SATA II drive like the Vertex 2 though, not only has it been out longer but it'll be cheaper. Plus you can't use the speed of the V3 because your connection is only 3Gb/s.

9. 50548 Guest

I have a Vertex 3 120GB installed by a local AASP on my 2011 27" iMac - no problems at all, apart from an incorrect reading of temperatures by the iStat widget (it's always fixed at 128 degrees Celsius, which means absolutely nothing of course - all fans run normally without any impact on the other sensors).

To be clear: my HD (replaced through the Seagate recall) and my optical drive are untouched - the SSD is installed in the SSD bay, where Apple factory-installed SSDs normally are.

10. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

My bad! I failed to see the 07 designation.

Not an issue! Simply take it apart and change it.

11. g-boac macrumors 6502

question - will he need an adapter bracket that adapts the 2.5" MPB-form-factor SSD to a 3.5" desktop form factor? For example this:

OWC Multi-Mount 2.5" to 3.5" bracket set
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MM35T25/

or a comparable model?

(note - not endorsing a specific product, simply posting one as an example for both the OP and to illustrate my point).

thanks,
    Mark

12. Dresevski macrumors 6502

My Vertex came with the necessary part, so yes you'd need a bracket to secure it in the large hole but it should come along in the SSD package (assuming you buy it new).