Will the Apple store replace V-moda headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Mar 3, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I bought the v-moda vibe headphones last year during thanksgiving sale at the Apple store and now its faulty. The control button doesn't work anymore and anytime I connect it to the jack it screws up the iPhone's sound system and the phone thinks the jack is still connected even tho its not

Also the stupid thing shocked me for about 3 secs this morning (my ears still hurt)

I was wondering if I can take them back to the store to have them replaced?

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

NO, but you can send the earbuds, receipt, to V-Moda, and they will send you new ones. Just fill out a little form on their site first and they will email you instructions.

3. MattsxB macrumors member

I had the same problem with the vmodas. I bought them with my $100 iPhone credit. They worked great for 3 months then they kept messing up my iPhone it thought the headphones were constantly connected and wouldn't ring or make any noise unless I connected them again. I took them to the genius bar and i got a nice lady help me that just switched them out for me no questions asked... I even got the new ones with the click button because they didnt carry the older ones anymore and they were the same price.

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

interesting...different answers. The thing is I'm in the uk and so contacting v-moda (a US based company with only resellers here) may not be the best option

I was hoping I could just step into the genius bar ad have them replace but will they require me to have a legit iPhone tariff before attending to me?..cos I don't

5. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you are lucky they did that-- that is considered a third party product which they do not support after the 14 day return period-- you normally need to contact the manufacturer should anything go wrong

6. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Yes they will -- well, they changed mine here in the UK (Brent Cross Apple store) after about 2 months the left earphone of the Vmoda died -- so they simply changed them. The funny thing is that they couldn't give me the 'new' ones boxed. they had to open the box and just give me the actual earphones. fine by me.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

So I guess its best to just stick with the default apple headphones and let apple replace them for free when they run down.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah...too bad they aren't as comfy though and have 'mug me!' written all over them.

I just received an email from V-Moda and they asked me to ship the faulty headphones all the way back to them in California and on receipt will send out a replacement, i don't think they knew i was emailing from the UK. That just sounds like too much of a hassle and shipping might cost the actual price of the headphones themselves

Im gonna try out the Apple Store and see what they say hopefully i get lucky.

9. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

I bought my pair today. They are going back tomorrow. They are crap.

10. Matteh117 macrumors regular

11. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

And they sound HORRIBLE lol

12. memesmith macrumors regular

In the UK, the Sale of Goods Act make the retailer responsible for faults in the first year after purchase. So a UK Apple store should replace them. No questions asked. The law is different in the US.

13. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

That explains it-- that is a good law and saves people a lot of hassle! I assume you have to show proof of purchase?

14. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Success story!. I tried to avoid going to the Apple Store at all cost because my local store (Regent Street) tends to dismiss customers rather than help them...they have this superiority complex...think because they work for Apple they're automatically gods

So i dealt exclusively with V-Moda, after several email exchanges they're going to send me a replacement FOC and i don't have to send the defective ones back so no international shipping costs or anything like that and it'll be one of the new revised models.

Very happy with the Customer Service.

Just thought i'd give an update

15. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Thanks for the update-- glad they are replacing them for you and making it easy!

16. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Final update

Just got the headphones delivered via UPS and i didn't realize how good these actually sound. I had been using the standard Apple buds in the interim and compared with the V-modas they sound horrible. Everything is muffled with base and it just sounds nasty.

The V-modas sound miles better much richer overall and are much more comfortable to wear. I wish they mimiced the mic control of the Apple standard buds rather than the tiny-hard-to-find button on their mic. Oh well

Now gonna 'burn them in' for several hours and enjoy them afterwards

Attached Files:

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Nice to hear a good customer service story.

I have the V-Moda Vibe Duos too, and I love them- excellent sound for the $99 range of earbuds.

The burn-in is important. I think a lot of people end up returning them because they don't do that when they first get them (see WorldIRC's post).

Enjoy!:cool: