Will the Apple Store trade out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by itsthemacaddict, Aug 13, 2011.

1. itsthemacaddict macrumors member

I own a 2011 MacBook Pro (I've had it since March), and my SD card slot no longer works (nothing I did, and I re-installed the OS to make sure it wasn't a problem on the software end), and my Mac has kernel panics every once and a while. I'd like to get the new MacBook Air.

Can I take my MBP into the Genius Bar and ask to trade out? Will they do that?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You are past the return period. They will repair your MBP. Why would they take a 5 month old used machine and replace it with a new machine???

3. itsthemacaddict thread starter macrumors member

I was able to do this previously, because I had multiple problems. Just wondering if I had a nice Genius Bar person or if it's Apple policy.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you did it before, consider yourself very lucky. That is not standard Apple procedure.

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

They last time they "gave" you a new notebook was to compensate you for having way too many problems with it (hdd, screen logic board, etc) + many people have been given new machines. Having a faulty SD card doesn't constitute a new model - they will fix the sd slot.

6. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

but if that doesnt work then what will happen?

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

If they can't repair it after 3 tries, then you can demand a new machine, but they will replace it with the same model.

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

then they'll replace the logic board and whatever else. And like the guy above said, 3 repairs and demand replacement.