Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Seriously! This is long past ridiculous. From what I understand the 1st Gen Apple TV can play iTunes extras.

It shouldn't be brain surgery. All it is is HTML and M4V files. Im sure the 2end and 3erd gen Apple TV's have technical capability to display HTML... I can display iTunes extras in safari for peat sakes. At the very least they should give us some sort of popup menu that displays all of the videos in the iTunes extra package file.

Here is the thing. Steve Jobs talked about the "Post-PC Era" with all of the new IOS devices. He also called Blu-ray a big bag of hurt. I agree with those statements... But would love to see the Apple TV become a true post-pc device. I have purchased a lot of movies on iTunes that feature iTunes extras that I would have to sit at a computer to watch.. How is that post-PC? As for a big bag of hurt, the Apple TV is a bit of a bag of hurt itself for not offering what DVD/blu-ray offer in terms of extra features... even though they are available on iTunes :/

I kept waiting around hoping the ATV2 would get an update that supported it.. nothing, ATV3... nothing, IOS 6, nothing.

Dont get me wrong I love my ATV2&3 and now purchas most of my movies digitally.. I would love to see them put a little bit of focus in to this issue though.. Its been long enough and it shouldn't be that complicated.

Ok that is my rant for this month.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Unfortunately, I suspect iTunes Extras has become another Ping- still around but "endangered." I perceive that someone took the "...but iTunes media doesn't come with all of the extras on DVDs" argument too seriously, developed the spec to bring extras to iTunes downloads, and then discovered that the group who really wanted the extras was not big enough to justify the costs in building out the iTunes Extra's ancillary pieces.

So, like Ping, it got a kickoff from Apple, it didn't stick, and now it's simply out there still awaiting a champion(s) to make it fly. No champions seem to want to bother to try. It will probably formally die as soon as someone writes a mainstream story pointing out how it is no longer compatible with some future iteration of iTunes and :apple:TV.

If you really want it, the key would be rallying everyone else that wants it to get after the Studios so that they make it a part of their process for making content available on iTunes. If there is enough demand- especially if that demand was measured in tangible terms like making more money than non "extras" offerings- the Studios will make it go.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Not sure if I agree with the studios being the problem with this one... iTunes Extras are being prepared and sold for most of the big titles available on iTunes, both movie and music. There was an "email from Tim Cook" earlier in the year that alluded to this functionality coming soon, but I always take those reports with a grain of salt.

I really wish they would bring support to the AppleTV; I'd finally have some motivation to complete the extras package I was working on for the LOTR extended editions.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
From what I understand the 1st Gen Apple TV can play iTunes extras.
This is true. I was very surprised that it was dropped in ATV2. I just assumed it would come back at any time but never did. Like you I buy all new movies via iTunes HD. Got tired of doing the DVD conversations, to much time and effort and all the disk space etc. Also, not interested in getting a Blu-Ray Player. And now with the re-download option I am even more in the camp of just buying via iTunes HD.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I think it's coming to iOS. However, I don't think it's a priority.

There seems to be an effort to update and modernize iTunes and the iTunes Store, so maybe iTunes Extras for iOS will come as part of that overhaul this fall.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
Steve Jobs himself said that it was coming, nearly three years ago. My guess is that it's a low priority and has regularly been pushed to the back burner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.