Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I've been playing handbrake'd files on my iphone. They come up widescreen, but it's not the full screen - I have an older Sony flat TV, but not hi-def.

So I'm thinking that my TV is the 'enhanced definition' type which will work with the appletv? I realize I'll need to connect via component and not HDMI, along with optical audio out.

I checked the req'ts from Apple's site:

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTE3MzI

I should be good to go right?

btw, I'm totally impressed by the amazing quality of these little iphone ripped movies playing on the TV. Just as good as the DVD as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
Keebler

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
The AppleTV will work with any TV that can handle 480p content over component inputs. If the TV isn't widescreen, your image will be distorted (unless the TV has a 16:9 mode).

Odds are that, if your TV has component inputs, it'll work. Can it handle 480p?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The AppleTV will work with any TV that can handle 480p content over component inputs. If the TV isn't widescreen, your image will be distorted (unless the TV has a 16:9 mode).

Odds are that, if your TV has component inputs, it'll work. Can it handle 480p?

I have to be honest, I believe so. 480p is pretty standard for the older tvs I think? My TV does output regular 16:9 DVDs in the proper format (black bars at the top/bottom) via component.

thanks,
Keebler

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
the apple tv will even work through composite yellow, on really old tv's. Without any hacks. If anyone is interested ill post a tutorial.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
the apple tv will even work through composite yellow, on really old tv's. Without any hacks. If anyone is interested ill post a tutorial.

hey, that'd be neat to see b/c i'm sure i'm not the only one wondering about this. It does make me wonder why apple isn't a bit more clear as to the specs or why they say hi-def (to push their movies I guess).

Cheers,
keebler

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006

Is that the HDMI/DVI adapter trick? I saw that, it may come in handy (I was debating getting another Apple TV for my older bedroom TV)...

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Gotrpms said:

Please post the tuotial

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
My TV does output regular 16:9 DVDs in the proper format (black bars at the top/bottom) via component.

In and of itself, this doesn't tell the story. If you set a DVD player to 4:3 letterbox, the player will add the extra black bars necessary to keep the aspect ratio correct when displayed on a 4:3 TV. If you want the AppleTV to display without any distortion on a 4:3 TV, the TV needs to have a 16:9 mode that allows it to take advantage of anamorphic widescreen DVDs (because the AppleTV doesn't have a 4;3 mode; it assumes the TV is 16:9).

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ

I'd be curious to see. At one point I was trying to use it with a small LCD screen meant for portable video. Best I could get was I discovered I can get b&w over the component G output in a composite input.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Its very simple process, and the one caveat is that 4:3 content will be pillar boxed ever so slightly. Its not an issue for me but that is the only problem that i see. Also if this trick somehow messes up your apple tv i am not responsible. Ive done this about 5 times with no issue.

Ok you need a HDMI to DVI and a DVI to VGA adapter. I used a HDMI to DVI cable and a generic DVI to VGA adapter.

Connect the apple tv with composite (yellow cable) connected to the green component video output. Turn on the apple tv as usual and everything should be normal except it is in black and white. This is because the green composite plug carries the lumen or brightness channel of the composite video.

Head over to general settings and the Video settings tab and highlight 480p without selecting it.

Unplug the yellow cable and plug in the HDMI to DVI to VGA adaptor and press the select button. Then count to 5. and switch cables back from the HDMI to the Yellow component.

If your timing was correct the display will now be in color. This took me a few tries to get this right but it does work. This workaround will stick as long as the power cable isnt unplugged. Standby isnt an issues but and power loss will revert the display.

I hope this helps everyone.:apple:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
ugh. as a follow up, it looks like my tv will only support 480i.

I tested some movies and they look stretched a bit, but not completely.

I connected my iphone to the tv and put some tape on the edges of the black box at top and bottom, then reconnected the atv, played the same movie and sure enough, it's slightly stretched.

i'm screwed right?

doh!

i tried changing the setting to 480p and had 2 thin split screens so i know that won't work :)

btw, can someone explain why normal 16:9 DVDs output just fine (the same as my iphone)?

i'm confused as to why the appletv won't work when the other 2 devices do (not blaming it, just not understanding :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.