Will the Apple Watch be your first full time watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by in2tech, Mar 14, 2015.

?

Are you new to wearing a watch?

1. Yes, I am basically new to wearing a watch!

34 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. No, I have always worn a watch off and on or always!

53 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. in2tech macrumors regular

Meaning besides maybe once in a while wearing a watch (wedding, christmas,etc...), will the Apple Watch be the first one you wear on a daily basis, or 90% of the time anyway. Just wondering how many traditional non watch people are getting this watch because of all the function connected to your iPhone.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Like you stated I tend to wear my nice watch at weddings and other formal events but I've been used to wearing a Pebble watch every day that I bought about a month ago to see if the concept of a smart watch is for me.

The answer is yes. I will be wearing my Apple Watch every day. I'm actually even considering leaving my iPhone at home when I go running because of it.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If I wanted to wear a watch, I'd wear a watch.

If I wanted some form of tracker, I'd get a fit bit.

The :apple: watch is 100% jewelry at this point, I certainly won't be wearing one, and if I do it won't be for a means to tell time.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

Last time I wore a watch was the 1990s. I needed one in college but after I graduated, I realized I no longer needed a watch. I'm most likely buying an apple watch for functionality.

5. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I'm not seeing how a smartwatch is 100% jewerly. It does more than just tell time or act as a fitness tracker.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I got my first watch when I startted elementary school, and wore one throughout junior high, high school, college, and graduate school. After I stopped going to school, I stopped wearing watches, partly because I mostly worked from home, and partly because that's about when I started carrying portable electronic devices, first the iPod then the iPhone, that had time displays. I can't remmber exactly how long it has been since I last wore a watch, but I'm looking forward to wearing the Apple watch.

EDIT: poll needs third option to cover people like myself.

7. SHKLMRE macrumors regular

I have a small watch collection, nothing luxurious, but different colors, some cool designs, etc but the Apple watch is going to become my daily watch. I used to wear a different watch every day, but I will just get a few different bands for my Apple watch to switch it up.

8. in2tech thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty much what the Yes is and what I meant by basically new. I figure a lot of people have worn some type of watch at some point in time. For a little while anyway. But it appears to me the Apple Watch will be worn 90%-100% by the people getting it.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't feel like I'm "basically new" to wearing watches, because I spent more than half my life wearing one. It's just that I haven't worn one in a while.

10. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Yup, when I was 12 I had one for 5 days, hated it and hated any jewelry ever since. Had a necklace for about a few days, drove me batty as well.

I'm outside screwing around building crap, farming, and fishing and what not, I mostly just wear a pair of shorts, that's it.

kinda hate my iPhone too:D and leave it behind many times.

I am really hoping for the day the watch replaced the phone, and the only reason I'm getting a watch is so I can leave my phone in the barn or house or on the porch while I'm outside working.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Thinking of trying apple watch for gym. Will never replace my daily watch.

Having used an android wearable, the novelty soon wears off, it's just a phone accessory. Sadly the sensors on the android were not very good.

12. mbhforum macrumors 6502

Will the Apple Watch be your first full time watch?

My wife bought me an Omega Speedmaster for our engagement and another Burberry watch for a Bday. Along with another Burberry watch I bought myself, I was rotating them equally. I have a feeling I will be wearing my Apple watch 90 percent of the time. For formal or going out occasions, I will dress it up with one of the others. I feel incredibly guilty that my wife spent a lot on the Omega and I won't wear it as often, but I promised myself I will still wear it when I go out with her (date nights) and this is something I will pass along to our son one day.

It looks like the watch industry is changing and the timeless pieces won't be replaced, but probably worn less often.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My point is simply that it's not a watch - it doesn't last long enough - it's not a fitness tracker - it doesn't last long enough - it's not jewelry, it does too much - it's not a wrist computer of sorts - it's too "watch like". Basically that the Apple Watch is a wearable computer with an identity crisis.

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'll use it variably. Mostly for running and casual use. Otherwise, I'm partial to my Shinolas for a dressier look.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Good, it's not just me who seems to feel old with the "Is this your first watch?" question. I used to wear one all the time because we had clocks on the walls and watches to tell time. I'm pretty sure I had one all through high school, maybe even into college. I know calculator watches were the thing at one point in about second grade.

I haven't worn one probably since I got out of college and had a cellphone that displayed time. One more thing I didn't need to spend money on. Apple Watch seems to do a ton more, so it's worth considering.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Poll is missing: I used to wear a watch full time but haven't since the iPhone (smart Phone) replaced it.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've worn a watch pretty much every day since I was 7, so it definitely won't be my first watch.

18. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

19. docprego macrumors 65816

I've never worn a watch in my 45 years. This will be the first.

20. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Been wearing a Pebble before for ~8 months, before that I wore a watch off and on

21. technosix macrumors 6502a

Looks like I'm in good company :)

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've been wearing a watch regularly for all my teenage and adult life. In fact I find it feels really strange when I'm not wearing a watch. People say well you can just look at the time on your phone. I don't like having to take my phone out whenever I want to know the time.

23. Kobalt60 macrumors newbie

As a student, I typically don't wear a watch normally, as I tend to rely upon my iPhone for timekeeping. However, I do have several very fine watches (from graduation presents and such) that I do wear on occasion.

I am anticipating the need to wear a watch everyday, once I begin my new career soon. I fear that pulling out my iPhone as frequently as I do now, could appear somewhat rude in a professional setting.

So, I think the Apple Watch has become rather appealing to me because it is not only stylish enough for everyday use, but also has the iPhone integration/functionality that other watches simply don't.