Will the Apple Watch go down in price when 2nd gen is out?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Aug 30, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

with the next watch likely announced next week will we see a decent drop in price for the first gen watch?

Thinking of buying the Apple Watch Sport for my girlfriend for her birthday but will it be wise to wait for the price to drop for the first gen?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not safe to assume that they'll still sell the first gen AW when the AW2 debuts especially given that most of the current gen AW models are sold out.

4. Zmonsters20 macrumors newbie

Well Best Buy does have the AW Sport 38mm Space gray for $199, that's a great deal! I told one of my family members about the deal, they went to BB to order it at the store for that price because they were "sold out" online. I just bought my about a month and have zero regrets even if the new one comes out next month.

5. gigaguy, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

gigaguy macrumors 65816

I saw even better deals on BB, the 38 Stainless Steel for $179, the 42 Stainless Steel for $199, refurbs -that's $400 off, sold out tho. well there are a few, 60 miles away from here tho.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Jealous of you guys

No best buy here in the UK. No other shops who are actually cheaper than Apple Store

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Very likely the 1.5 version will be priced in the US $200 starting price range. Just hold hod for a few more days and you can likely get the same :apple:Watch with improved S2 chip for a lower price.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will probably end up being more expensive when the adjustments are made for the current poor currency exchange rates. :(

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That is what I qualified with US. I guess with the Pound dropping so much against the Dollar it could be a bit more. Has there been price adjustments on other Apple products since then?

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not yet, it will be interesting to see how big the adjustment will be when the new products are announced.

The pound is now 17% lower against the Dollar than it was when the iPhone 6S was announced and 13% lower than when the Apple Watch first went on sale so there could be some hefty price hikes coming our way. :(

11. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

I'd hold off buying a 1st gen until we know whats going on.

If AW2 replaces AW1, then the stores will be clearing inventory and there'll be a lot on eBay etc.
    If AW2 doesn't replace AW1, then AW1 will get cheaper at Apple and other stores.
    If there's a AW1.5 then any current AW1 stock will also be sold off and ebay pricing will drop.

As an existing AW1 user i've just sold mine on Ebay as i think the value will drop considerably after the Apple event next week, even if there is no 1.5 model.

12. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

There will be the Apple watch 2 and the Apple watch SE, and the SE Will replace the watch 1 :)

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

You cannot order from BB and have it shipped? How about Amazon, isn't there a UK store?

14. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

No Best Buy here

But I've bought the rose gold sport today for my GF birthday. All wrapped

So even if the price drops I'm sure she will be happy with the watch

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I meant shipped from the US although I am not sure BB does that.

And don't most countries have an Amazon storefront? I have ordered from various Amazon storefronts outside the US and they shipped.

16. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

You would be looking at £40 shipping from US. Amazon here do sell them but price wise there isn't much difference from Apple Store as more often than not it's easier to go in store which is what I did today

17. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I think it's an excellent gift mate. It's still a sweet piece of gear, will get new life with os3 and the new one seemingly won't look any different.

18. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Just like how they fleshed out the iPhone segment, Apple want to hit competitors price points, but also want to maintain their high retail price for new products. Since they've worked so hard to fix the OS with pre-loading of some stock apps, I expect they'll keep the first gen around for a while - either updated or not.

19. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Watch os3 is a big reason why I think I won't need to upgrade just yet

Speed was my only issue and now it seems to fix that