Will the ATT IP8 be unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StarShot, Sep 15, 2017.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

I wanted to preorder the IP8 from Apple, but ATT popped up first. I paid full price for the phone from ATT.

I'm hoping it will be unlocked. I finally got on with the Apple preorder site, but was afraid I would get a later delivery date although I was thinking of ordering from Apple anyway and then cancelling the ATT order.

So, will my full price ATT IP8 be unlocked?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Bummer. I should have cancelled the ATT preorder and gone with the Apple order. Me bad...

The only reason I wanted it unlocked is I'm considering selling it in Nov after the iP X debuts...

4. kevinf1990 macrumors member

Nevermind, i misread your post. I know that buying att version full price should be unlocked not sure about buying from att store.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 601

You can however, request the unlock after certain period. Contact AT&T and find out when you can.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Apple doesn't sell the unlocked version at launch. It's usually available a few weeks after launch. The closes you get to unlocked at launch is the Verizon version.

7. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Sim free is available at Apple on the 8 with only a 1-2 week back order on all models

8. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502a

StarShot

While this link is dated because it apparently came out for the IP6 S, it sure indicates that ANY phone bought from Apple and paid for in full is unlocked. It also says...

If you bought your iPhone in full directly from a carrier, note that you are still entitled to a free unlock right now. Simply call your carrier and tell them to unlock your device. Because it is paid in full and not tied to a contract, they should oblige.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/0...ght-from-apple-and-paid-in-full-are-unlocked/