Will the ATV3 ever get updates to make it work like the ATV4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by watermelonbook, Nov 5, 2015.

1. watermelonbook macrumors regular

After having my first ATV4 for just a day, I'm very impressed with it.
    I have ordered two more and put all my current four ATV3s on eBay.

Now I'm having seconds thoughts. Will the ATV3 ever get software
    updates to make it work like the ATV4?(minus the Siri remote, obviously)
    For example, having a real app store?

Is this even a possibility? If so, I may just keep the ATV3 and see
    what happens.

Thanks!

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Apple likes to move forward, not backward.

3. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

Agreed. Very very very unlikely.

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

They'll still do updates but they will be minor and/or adding content channels.

The Apple TV 3 will never get an AppStore I'm afraid, it just doesn't have powerful enough hardware to handle one. Or certainly to justify one. The ATV 3 is roughly half as powerful as an iPhone 4s. So you can imagine how underpowered that is by today's standard.

5. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Pretty rubbish deal for Apple TV 3 owners. Can they at least put Apple Music on it?

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Technically they could, but so far it would seem they have no plans to do so.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

We sure about that?
    Wasn't the A5 powering phones & pads with 3rd party Apps?

I think it could handle "an" App store, just not tvOS and the new direction in general.

I'll bet at some point they throw a music and photos bone to the ATV3 since those are their services (sometimes being paid for), but that'll be it.

8. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

ok, so I'm definitely selling all remaining ATV3s. :)

9. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Its a bit crappy, especially if you bought an Apple TV 3 after WWDC where they said "Apple music is coming to Apple TV later this year". Also crappy is the fact that they're going to support Android, but not their own existing product with it.

I don't expect an app store or anything like that, but they could at least designed the interface to match TVos + added Apple Music and universal (by text) search.

10. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Who said they're not going to support it. ATV3 is still a current SKU. It's just not their premier product anymore. Roku has several models to choose from, why can't Apple?

11. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Well lets hope they do. The signs just don't look great as of yet.

12. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Why not? They could have easily discontinued it. They didn't. Apple likes to keep old models around for at least another year.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I honestly just think it was kept around as a price thing for now and the ATV3 is gone 1 year from now - Perhaps replaced with an AirPlay stick at some point to keep something in that range.

It might depend on how it all shakes out - $150 is a steep entry point in the streaming box market these days.

I would love to have AirPlay sticks with audio ports like the old Airport Express had. Still have some of those in service for remote speakers all around. Bulletproof product! Totally rock solid for all these years.

14. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Its been months since Apple Music was announced and we still have nothing.. thats why it doesn't look great.

15. Longkeg macrumors regular

The 8 gigs of storage that ATV3s have is enough to hold the OS and to buffer video streams and that's about all. With such limited storage capacity an App Store makes little sense.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The ATV3 has a single core A5 processor. That's half the processing power of the iPhone 4s. I honestly don't see it sticking around for much longer.

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Again though - Great to have a cheap option for those that want Airplay/streaming only (LOTS of people use the ATV for AirPlay on the go at conferences, etc)

18. oldmacs macrumors 68040

But that doesn't mean that it shouldn't get Apple Music or a redesign of the interface...

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree about Apple Music, but it might not be able to handle the extra overhead of an updated UI.

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Pretty sure, was is the key word there. It's not an A5, it's a single core A5. Performance wise that's worse than the A4 chip in an iPhone 4. That's a big difference in processing power. How many games being released today would run well on something that sits between an iPhone 3Gs and an iPhone 4. Never mind games, there's ordinary apps that need more muscle than that.

It just wouldn't be worth the hassle, very few developers would be willing to cripple their software enough to support such a configuration.

Sure it could manage some really basic stuff, but there just wouldn't be the level of support to justify it.

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

There's still a case for some basic apps to solider that tackle some of the major services. After all, it's been working well in that role for several years now.

I'm mainly talking about the keystone Apple stuff.

22. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yeah I agree, like I said in my earlier post I think there will be minor updates and/or content channels. I don't expect them to abandon the 3 just yet, I just don't think it's going to be the centre of their focus.

23. oldmacs macrumors 68040

It definitely would - the new UI is not really intense, they just need to make sure it does't have any transparency.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Have you used the new ATV? It doesn't have full Apple Music, but it has your playlists, library, and I believe even some recommendations. It's not everything, but it's also not nothing.

25. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I don't think it's that bad on the Apple TV, really as far as I can tell the only thing thats missing is Connect. Theres still For You, New, Radio, My Music, Playlists and Search (both All Apple Music and just My Music).
    You can still do options like Go to Album, I Love This Song, Start Radio Stations from a song, Add To Playlist and so on.

I've no complaints about it so far.