Will the ComboDrive ever disappear??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacSA, Oct 8, 2007.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I really thought Apple would drop the combo drive from the cheapest MacBooks and Mac Mini, but nope.. it's still there. How much longer can Apple get away with selling this ancient piece of hardware in premium priced computers?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably when the top-end machines start getting "mega-ultra-super-drives" (HD DVD or BluRay writing) then the lowest end machines can have DVD-writers as this will no longer be the same as the top-end stuff.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Think the combo will go when apple brings in BD or HD drives and then the bottom eend computers will just get super.

5. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

How long does anybody think we'll have to wait for that? Indeed, have Apple even decided which one they're going with?

6. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Its just an artificial product line differentiator. If you look at the pricing of DVDRW's and DVDROM's, its basically the same (at least for 5.25" ones).
    Apple just keeps it alive so they can make people pay to upgrade.

Dell sometimes does the same, although not often. Currently (in australia at least) they've got a combo drive only for the lowest desktop PC model, and don't even offer it for the laptops.

Its about time apple just made DVDRW drives uniform, it wouldn't cost them anything.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i would like to see Apple drop the combo drive.....

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

As long as Apple sticks with the "Good, Better, Best" model, there has to be a way to differentiate the different lines even if it means using 40GB hard drives, integrated graphics, Core Solo processors, 128MB VRAM or even Combo drives.

Regardless, "Good, Better, Best" sounds a whole lot better that "Best, Slightly Bester, Even a tad more Bester."

9. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Yes they might, but have you seen the price of the hardware it comes in? We're NOT talking £700 laptops like Apple.

I couldn't find a CD/RW computer on Dells UK website. They have PC Base Units from £150 that have DVD burners. Compared to the £500 Mac Mini

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Since I've never had occasion to write a DVD in the five years I've had access to a SuperDrive, I couldn't really care less.

11. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

As far as laptop side of things go, I'd rather they remove it completely and make the machine smaller.

Hardly ever use the optical drive while on the move so it's just excess space/weight to me.

Plus I put my old PC DVD-RW in a USB2 / Firewire enclosure and that does me fine for when I need to burn a disk.

As for the mini, I guess it's only there as ther is not much else to diferentiate the two models. Maybe they should just have one. That would probably be better. Keep the cheap model but with a dvd writer and everything else as an option (CPU really does not matter as the 2 are not that much different so they could skip that one).

12. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

They are technically there to make you buy more expensive stuff.:D

13. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

It really cheapens Apple product line that they still use those combo drives on the low end.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's quite easy to find no optical drive or a CD-ROM on Dell's workstations. The bottom of the barrel machines ship with Combo Drives and an upgrade to a full DVD burning drive for $US30.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, it's true. But of course, it's yet another thing Dell does that Apple should not! ;)

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think Apple should offer a drive only upgrade instead of upselling us to the next model.

17. BGil macrumors 6502

Dell sells computers with regular CD-ROM's because there is still a huge demand in the business market for computers without burning capability. At some places it's seen as a security risk to have workers burning CD's of company documents.

Note that Dell's consumer sales department doesn't sell machines with CD-ROM's just the business and educational departments.

18. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

Why is it that DVD drives in laptops (not just macs) are about half the speed of what's available to desktops? For instance the most you can get in a MBP is 8x on DVD burning, but 16x (and higher now I think) for desktops.

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Physical size and acceptable power consumption. The drives Apple use in their laptops have to be very slim. The drive in a MacBook/Pro is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 the height of the drive in a desktop machine. So there is a lot less room for motors and more importantly vibration dampening and stabilisation. In addition faster spinning = more power used (and more heat generated) which is not good in a laptop.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I think the dynamic stability issue is the biggest one, both for tray and slot-loading notebook drives. Although, to be honest, I don't really particularly need a CD/DVD burner much faster than what I've got. I guess I can understand that some others do, though. :eek:

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Combo Drives won't go away. They will simply evolve, once Blu-ray and HD writing go mainstream you will see that in the SuperDrives, while the Combo Drives will become DVD and CD Burners.

22. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

It worked. Even if I don't use it, I couldn't live knowing I didn't have such a basic option.

23. robPOD macrumors 6502

I belive once blue-ray/HD burners are added they will introduce the super drives on the lower spec machines.

24. stuff99 macrumors 6502

isn't it just cheaper to include dvd burners on macbooks now due to economies of scale??

25. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That's what I would have thought, too. Forget the differentiation at this point--use chips, graphics, base config of memory and HD for that.

Maybe if macbooks are revised in nov. as one rumor suggested?