Will the current iPad be updated with the release of the mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by accentaudio, Oct 17, 2012.

?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. accentaudio macrumors 6502

accentaudio

2. token787 macrumors regular

token787

I hope so, but probably not. Apple probably will wait until iPad 4 is released.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

we will know next week ...

this week we can guess a bit: could be. But: no leaks of parts yet. I would assume if Apple would tweak the iPad3 they would give it the new connector too; but in this case I'm sure we would have seen some different cases or cover already. Didn't remember we saw any.

But again: still possible when they build the iPad3/iPad Mini in the "forgotten factory" in South America while everyone focus on China.

one week to go ... :D it's like Xmas, isn't it ?

4. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

I hope so as well. Don't like the idea of an A6 in my iPhone and still only an A5 in the iPad, not to mention no lightning connector in the current full size iPad. I personally think it's foolish to release a mini with new connector and not update the current iPad...

5. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Hope you are right. If so I will return the iPad I bought a week ago and get the upgrade.

6. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

I really do hope they do too cause I am chomping at the bit to buy a new iPad, but after the announcement of the media event I have to wait. Just give me a lightning connector in the current iPad and I'll be happy. I just want all my devices to use the same cable... :(

7. yegon macrumors 68020

Tweaked lightning equipped I imagine, mentioned near the end of the keynote. I'd be genuinely surprised if it's anything more as it'd totally take the emphasis away from the mini. Plus, I doubt we'll ever see two new (full sized) iPad's in the same year, flies in the face of common sense and Apple's recent history of product launches. Yeah yeah, I know this could change at any time and it's down to Apple's whim, but we've suffered 3 years of click bait articles and endless forum discussion of a fabled q4 new iPad (full size) launch, and they've all been complete bs.

8. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

I'll take the lightning connector and be happy ;)

9. yegon macrumors 68020

Thing is, it's not without precedent given they released tweaked iPad 2's at a later stage. Admittedly, that was much further along in it's life though, after the 3's arrival.

10. MacSignal macrumors regular

Yes. Unless Apple is done building iPads until the launch of the iPad 4, it would sense to offer common features and assemble with common components.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I asked this in another thread, and nobody really answered -- but how much redesign would it take to fit a lightning connector into the current iPad? It's not like it's a modular part you can just swap out, is it? I read somewhere that the lightning connector has fewer connections than the old thirty-pin connector, and it reprograms itself to use the lines for different purposes depending on what is attached at the other end of the connection. So that means it needs a chip somewhere to control it -- so adding a new chip = total redesign, isn't it?

In other words, I suspect switching to a lightning connection is a lot more work than you are thinking, and therefore it's highly unlikely that the iPad 3 will be updated mid-cycle just to incorporate the new connector.