Will the DSi be hackable?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ceezy3000, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

much specualation has gone into will the dsi be hackable, or is the dsi hackable? since the introduction of onboard memory and sd card people have wondered if it is possible to install custom firmware on the dsi just like what has been done with the psp. what do u think? will someone hack the dsi just like they did the psp? do u want it to be hackable? i sure do, i havent payed for a game on my psp yet. hopefully the dsi will be th3e same. what do u think?

2. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Its not a question of IF, but WHEN.

3. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

dats what i was hoping to hear

4. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Well the old DS was hackable (though needed an SD to cartridge adaptor... cant think for the life of me what they are called) so I'd imagine the DSi would be too.

As far as I am aware the only console (hand held or otherwise) that's out that isn't hackable is the PS3 and I think that's mostly down to the size of the bluray discs.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The DSi has been 'hacked'. You can't play DS games, but only homebrew. The only flashcart that does this is the Acekard 2i.

6. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

What do you mean by hackable? I thought you could run Linux on PS3 does that count as a hack?

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And thats hopefully as far as it goes.
    Homebrew is ace, piracy (as in copying games and the developer/publisher not getting a penny) is crap.
    DS games max, unless their collectables or rare, at £29.99. They're normally between £15-25 for latest releases. That isn't expensive you cheap person you. Try visiting this site - http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html.

8. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

To me, "hacked" means the ability to run non "approved" code. This includes homebrew, jailbreaks, ability to run pirated games, install other operating systems, etc.

All game consoles released in the past 5 years has been hacked. Its just a matter of time before the DSi is fully opened as well.

I have a hacked PSP (fat) and a DS Lite with an R4. I own 25-30 games for each and the first thing I do when I buy any game is rip and copy it. I travel extensively due to my work (sometimes don't get to go home for six to nine months) and it is much much MUCH easier to carry around 2 MS Pro Duos for PSP games and a single SD card. Managing save games is much easier this way, too.

10. neil1980 macrumors 6502

You can indeed... I've got Yellow Dog Linux running on mine.

I wouldn't count it as a hack though as it's all Sony approved. I'd classify hacked as running either games or "homebrew" (basically unsigned code) within Sony XMB.

11. neil1980 macrumors 6502

12. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Exactly - that has always been my point with the PSP. I am all for small developers being able to to innovative (or even trivial) stuff for a platform ... but as a couple posts here indicate, the ability to run homebrew is *not* what the overwhelming vast majority of people will use this for.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

get off the holier than thou anti-piracy crap.

there ARE legitimate reasons to own flashcard/hacks for the DS. Namely, NOT carrying 10+ games with you and instead having them all on one.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought he was from Wales given his location info. To anyone in the UK "the valley" would likely mean that area.

I see you missed who I quoted. Let me refresh you-

There are legitimate reasons and the OP wasn't bothered by any of them. I do this with my PSP, I have a UMD case for 5 discs (1 in the slot) and my fave games from my library are backed up to a quite paltry 4gb memory stick. But if push came to shove, if I could no longer play games from the memory stick I'd simply go back to UMDs. A mini DVD and an SD card sized game aren't going to break anybodies backs :rolleyes:.

15. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

First, I must admit I missed the OP's stating he was more or less an unrepentant pirate. I probably wouldn't have answered him had I actually read his post thoroughly.

No, 1 UMD and 1 SD card, no big deal. But like I mentioned before, when I leave on a job, sometimes I don't know if it'll be six weeks or six months. FedEx doesn't deliver to most of the places I work so I have to carry everything with me in one carryon backpack. 25 UMDs <b>IS</b> a lot of bulk. If push came to shove and the ability to carry around my library disappeared, I would stop carrying the PSP because I'd rather some extra pairs of underwear and socks.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually I believe the Acekard 2i DOES play DS games on the DSi. A simple 'you tube' search will prove such.

Of course doing so (acekard/hack) brings up a whole slew of legal and moral arguments.