Will the Eagles new "album" play on iTunes/iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by fjs08, Aug 20, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Just received an e-mail about the upcoming Eagles new "album.

It says the following: "The full album available in high quality audio download. Available in two formats: MP3 256k and FLAC. Order now, this will be available for download on the release date of October 30."

Will either of those two formats allow me to play their album on iTunes and my iPod.

The album will be available as a "physical CD" also. I would think that should work??

Anyone know anything about this??

Thanks.

Frank

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

iPods and Macs can play MP3 files. Macs can also get on the Internet. ;)

Here's iPod supported formats:

AAC (16 to 320 Kbps)
    Protected AAC (from iTunes Store)
    MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps)
    MP3 VBR
    Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4)
    Apple Lossless
    AIFF
    WAV

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Liar!

http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/dogeyes.gif

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really?! Can you send me this "Internet" on a Floppy please?
    ;)

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sure, give me a while to find it in here. How I wish someone would invent something better than me having to carry all my stuff around like this.

[​IMG]

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

rdowns listed the formats the iPod can play. MP3 256K is one of them.

Here are some definitions:

MP3 is an audio format derived from the MPEG movie standard (it technically stands for "Motion Picture Experts Group movie version 1, layer 3", which is a subset of the MPEG-1 standard,) and is the most universally accepted "lossy" audio standard around. That means that the recording is not "CD perfect". The 256K refers to the amount of computer data per second required to store the file, 256 kilobits per second, or 256,000 ones and zeros of computer data per second of audio.

FLAC is a "lossless" file format, which means that it will sound exactly the same as the source material. Most labels use the commercial CD as the source material for digital recordings, but if the Eagles label uses the original master tapes, it is possible that the FLAC file could sound better than the commercial CD. Unfortunately, neither iTunes nor the iPod can play FLAC files, meaning you would have to convert it to a format the iPod understands.

Apple sells their music in AAC format (Advanced Audio Codec, a subset of the MPEG-4 standard.) It is less compatible, but is fully compatible with iTunes and iPods. AAC is a newer "lossy" standard than MP3, so while it is not a 'perfect' reproduction the way FLAC is, it does sound better for a given bit rate than MP3. So an AAC file at 256K would sound better than an MP3 file at 256K. Apple sells theirs in two versions, 128K AAC and 256K AAC (also called "iTunes Plus".) If the album is made available in iTunes Plus, then that would be a better choice than the straight-from-the-label MP3, but would still sound marginally worse than the straight-from-the-label FLAC. (But it would be easier to play in iTunes or on an iPod.)

At present, The Eagles label does *NOT* offer their music in iTunes Plus, though. Which means that the file you would buy from Apple would sound slightly worse than the MP3 version from the label, and would have DRM (meaning there are technical measures in place to prevent you from sharing the music with others; iTunes Plus, as well as the two file types from the label, do not have DRM.)

The easiest to deal with, however, would be a CD. You go purchase the physical CD, then import it into iTunes in whatever format you like. (You could use a 'high bitrate' AAC like Apple's iTunes Plus files, or you could even use Apple's version of a "lossless" format, "Apple Lossless", which would sound exactly the same as the physical CD, and would likely sound exactly the same as the direct-from-the-label FLAC file (but is compatible with iTunes and the iPod, unlike FLAC.)

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>The easiest to deal with, however, would be a CD. You go purchase the physical CD, then import it into iTunes in whatever format you like.<<

Sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all the responses.

Guess The Eagles will be selling this album only through Wal-Mart/Sam's Club for a year. Not sure why?? Or I could get it directly via the Eagles web site. Either way it doesn't come out until 30 Oct.

Frank

8. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I would love to see someone walk down the road with that floppy bag.

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

you can also dload the flac and use some apps to convert to whichever format you'd like.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What's the name of the album? "We need new beach houses"? Oops, this is the Eagles, "We need new private islands".

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Some info here.

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Eagle + Wal-mart only .... WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?????????????

13. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

14. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried to listen to some of the "test tracks" on the Wal Mart site, but was unable to do it. Guess too, you can't download to a Mac. I'd have to download to a PC and then send them back to the Mac.

Frank

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have the new album, downloaded it to my XP laptop, loaded it on my iPod via iTunes then copied that over to my MBP.

I didn't even see this thread and it would have made me laugh. :D