Will the fans max out without its internal LCD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JesperA, Apr 6, 2014.

1. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Yeah so my iMac is in pieces right now due to a harddrive replacement, i think the iMac is a Late 2009 one, 2374, i bought it in Februari 2010 and it was the latest one, so yeah i think it is the EMC 2374.

[​IMG]

Anyways, i have not put the iMac together yet since i don't have the tools to assembly it and i want to restore from my backup before i put it back together if for some reason something fail, so i don't need to disassembly it once more.

So i connected my Apple Cinema Display to the iMac and i am now restoring from my backup, the thing is, the fans run at a crazy RPM right now, the weird thing is, my new harddrive had a connection for the thermal sensor, like the standard one that i replaced. My local Apple store said i would have to buy a separate thermal sensor because they claimed that none of the internal harddrive temp sensors worked, only Apple provided those harddrives with a connection for a temp sensor, anyway, the Seagate i bought (not from Apple) had a thermal connection, my other WD drives does not have a connection for the thermal sensor, but yeah, my new Seagate ST1000DM003 have one and the iMac´s internal temp sensor is now connected to the harddrive.

But i don't know if it works in the iMac since the fans goes like crazy, but there also seems to be a thermal sensor in the LCD and that one is obviously not connected and that makes the fans spin at max?

2. OsideRida06 macrumors member

I just finished doing this on a mid 2010. At first the fans came on. Then I realized at the very end of this article, it says that you have to switch the sensor upside down from where you found it. It has something to do with WD changing the internals to be the opposite of what they once were? I did this and the fan went back to normal speeds. I can't even hear it anymore.

http://blog.macsales.com/19617-diag...ed-issues-after-upgrading-the-main-hard-drive

However, I was under the impression that you had to buy the brand that originally came in? Mine came with a WD and that is what I put back into it.